Predominant sex: Male = Female
- Electrolyte abnormality is commonly encountered in clinical practice (1).
- Found in >20% of hospitalized patients (when defined as potassium <3.6 mEq/L).
- Higher incidence (5–20%) in individuals with eating disorders
- >10% of inpatients with alcoholism
- Higher incidence in patients with AIDS
- Associated risk after bariatric surgery
Hypokalemia is a sample topic found in
5-Minute Clinical Consult .
To find other 5-Minute Clinical Consult topics
please login or purchase a subscription.