Initial Stabilization Look for signs of severe infection (e.g., bacterial endocarditis).
- Indications for inpatient detoxification:
- History of withdrawal symptoms (e.g., seizures)
- Threat of harm to self or others
- Obstacles to close monitoring (follow-up)
- Comorbid medical illness
- For narcotic addiction and withdrawal
Maintenance until patient is taking fluids well by mouthNursing
- Take frequent vital signs during withdrawal.
- Monitor for signs of drug use in the hospital.
Substance Use Disorders is a sample topic found in
5-Minute Clinical Consult .
To find other 5-Minute Clinical Consult topics
please login or purchase a subscription.