Explore 5-Minute Clinical Consult - view these FREE monographs:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Progressive destruction of the pancreas
- May result in either or both exocrine and endocrine insufficiency
- Major features:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Increased risk of pancreatic cancer
- 35–45 years (usually related to alcohol)
- Predominant sex: Male = Female
Hereditary pancreatitis is a rare condition with an autosomal-dominant inheritance pattern.
- Avoid smoking.
- Avoid excess alcohol.
- Pancreatic ductal strictures
- Familial, including cystic fibrosis
- Chronic ductal obstruction
- Note that cigarette smoking independently increases the risk in the above conditions.