Tapeworm was found in Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics which helps you diagnose, treat, and follow up on over 900 medical conditions seen in everyday practice.
Explore 5-Minute Clinical Consult - view these FREE monographs:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Tapeworms cause 2 major types of zoonotic disease syndromes, depending on whether humans are the definitive or intermediate host. When humans serve as definitive hosts, adult tapeworms infect the GI tract and interfere with nutrition. These infections are often asymptomatic. When humans serve as intermediate hosts for the larval cestode, serious pathology results.
- Causative organisms include:
- Taenia saginata (beef tapeworm)
- Taenia solium (pork tapeworm)
- Diphyllobothrium latum (fish tapeworm)
- Dipylidium caninum (dog tapeworm)
- Echinococcus granulosus