Join an exciting and dynamic digital publisher that creates cutting edge point-of-need products for students and health professionals. We seek an organized and flexible editorial professional to manage and develop projects with content created within the organization or with external publishers and educators.
The Managing Editor will work with all Unbound departments and with external partners to maintain smooth operation of projects from initiation through publication and regular updating.
The Managing Editor will oversee content development and editorial workflow for digital and print products designed, authored, edited, and indexed using Unbound Medicine’s online publishing system, uPub™. In addition, the Managing Editor will be a liaison to licensing managers at publishing houses with responsibility for tracking publishing schedules and data delivery.
The Managing Editor will be responsible for developing and managing a network of freelance editors, physician authors, and indexers. Where in-house editorial services are appropriate for product development or marketing/corporate communications, the Managing Editor may provide hands-on review, developmental editing, copyediting, or indexing.
Day-to-day activities include uPub project set-up; client training; establishing and maintaining schedules and budgets; managing workflow; generating status reports; reviewing content for consistency and adherence to quality standards; and direct communications with publishing partners, external project managers, freelance editors, and internal staff.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Set up of content templates, workflow, and user accounts based on specific project requirements.
- Recruitment, training, and management of freelance editorial services.
- Regular phone and email communication with external project managers.
- Relationship management with licensing partners.
- uPub training via webinar.
- Distribution and maintenance of training materials and user guides.
- Content review and editing to ensure quality and consistency of published products.
- 4-year college degree
- Developmental or editorial management responsibility for publications in medicine or nursing
- Manuscript review for quality of content and presentation
- Project management, including budget management; recruitment and monitoring of authors, reviewers, and freelance editors
- Outstanding communications skills (written and verbal)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and activities
- Experience with digital publishing systems
- Familiarity with applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
This position is based in Media, PA (outside of Philadelphia).