Reproductive outcome following hysteroscopic adhesiolysis in patients with infertility due to Asherman's syndrome.
To evaluate the outcome of hysteroscopic adhesiolysis in patients with infertility due to Asherman's syndrome.
MATERIALS AND METHODS
This was a retrospective clinical analysis of 89 patients who underwent hysteroscopic adhesiolysis by monopolar electrode knife. A second-look office hysteroscopy was performed in all cases after 2 months. On second-look hysteroscopy, 12 patients showed reformation of adhesions and needed a repeat procedure.
The mean age of the patient was 28.4 years. In the majority (64%) of patients, the possible cause of Asherman's syndrome was previous curettage on gravid uterus. The overall conception rate was 40.4% after hysteroscopic adhesiolysis. The mean conception time after surgery was 12.8 months. There was no conception in patients who needed repeat adhesiolysis. The conception rate was higher (58%) in mild Asherman's syndrome compared to 30% conception rate in moderate and 33.3% conception rate in severe cases. There was no significant association between conception rate and preoperative menstrual pattern. There was significant higher likelihood of conception rate (44.3%) in those who continued to have improved menstrual pattern compared to only 10% likelihood of conception in those who continued to have amenorrhea after adhesiolysis. The live birth rate was 86.1% and miscarriage rate was 11.1%. Cumulative pregnancy rate showed that 97.2% patients conceived within 24 months. There was increased incidence (43.8%) of cesarean section. Four (12.5%) patients had postpartum hemorrhage for adherent placenta.
Hysteroscopic adhesiolysis for Asherman's syndrome is a safe and effective method of choice for restoring menstrual function and fertility.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Room No. 3085, Teaching Block, 3rd Floor, New Delhi, India. email@example.com
SourceArchives of gynecology and obstetrics 281:2 2010 Feb pg 355-61
Pub Type(s)Journal Article