Unbound MEDLINE

Salivary gland tumours: profile and management at a tertiary cancer centre.

Abstract

Salivary gland tumours comprise a varied group of benign and malignant neoplastic lesions posing a challenge to surgeon. To review the profile of salivary gland tumours presenting to a referral cancer centre and their overall management, a retrospective analysis of prospective head and neck cancer database of the surgical oncology department of Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital (IRCH), All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) was performed. Forty patients of salivary gland tumours treated between 1995 and 2003 were analysed. All computations including recurrences and survival were carried out using the statistical package for social sciences (SPSS) for windows software (SPSS Inc, USA). The profile of salivary gland tumours presenting to a cancer centre setting was found to be different - 77.5% being malignant tumours and the remaining 22.5% werebenign tumours. Most common site of involvement was the parotid gland (72.5%). Muco-epidermoid carcinoma and adenocarcinomas were the most common histological types. Conservative resection was adequate for benign tumours. For primary malignant tumours, radical surgery with or without neck dissection and appropriate reconstruction, combined with postoperative radiotherapy was effective in achieving good locoregional control. Optimal management of primary tumour along with appropriate neck dissection including resection of the involved salivary gland is necessary for the management of metastatic salivary gland tumours.

Authors

Shukla NK, Hazarika S, Deo S, Kar M, Kumar S, Samaiya A, Sharan R, Rath GK

Source

Journal of the Indian Medical Association 109:6 2011 Jun pg 381-5

MeSH

Adolescent
Adult
Aged
Antineoplastic Protocols
Biopsy, Fine-Needle
Child
Combined Modality Therapy
Female
Histological Techniques
Humans
India
Kaplan-Meier Estimate
Male
Medical Informatics Applications
Middle Aged
Neck Dissection
Neoplasm Metastasis
Neoplasm Recurrence, Local
Oncology Service, Hospital
Parotid Gland
Retrospective Studies
Salivary Gland Neoplasms

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

22315764