Intern Med J [journal]
- Acupuncture is not a unique explanation for functional magnetic resonance imaging finding. [Letter]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):864.
- Author reply. [Letter]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):863.
- Associated factors with atherosclerosis in hepatitis C infection. [Letter]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):862-3.
- Coeliac disease presenting as apparent haemochromatosis. [Letter]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):860-2.
- Menstrual anaphylactoid reactions and presumed systemic mast cell activation syndrome. [Letter]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):858-9.
- Transient secondary hyperparathyroidism in acute kidney injury. [Letter]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):857-8.
- Persistent left atrial thrombus on treatment with rivaroxaban and subsequent resolution after warfarin therapy. [Letter]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):855-6.
- Liver and lung transplantation in cystic fibrosis: an adult cystic fibrosis centre's experience. [Journal Article]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):852-4.
Liver disease develops in one-third of patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). It is rare for liver disease to have its onset after 20 years of age. Lung disease, however, is usually more severe in adulthood. A retrospective analysis was performed on nine patients. Three patients required lung transplantation approximately a decade after liver transplant, and another underwent combined liver and lung transplants. Four additional patients with liver transplants are awaiting assessment for lung transplants. One patient is awaiting combined liver and lung transplants. With increased survival in CF, several patients may require more than single organ transplantation.
- The use of low-dose sodium valproate in the management of neuropathic pain: illustrative case series. [Journal Article]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):849-52.
Anti-epileptic drugs are commonly used in the management of neuropathic pain. Sodium valproate, however, is an anti-epileptic drug that is not commonly used. We report four patients with neuropathic pain who responded very well to the initiation of low-dose oral sodium valproate. Low-dose sodium valproate may have a role in managing neuropathic pain, especially when other first-line agents are unsuccessful or relatively contraindicated.
- Elevated total serum immunoglobulin E (>1000 IU/mL): implications? [Journal Article]
- Intern Med J 2016 Jul; 46(7):846-9.
Atopic eczema, allergic broncho-pulmonary aspergillosis, helminthic infections and rare primary immunodeficiencies are known to elevate total serum immunoglobulin E (IgE) above 1000 IU/mL. However, of 352 patients with IgE >1000 IU/mL seen in our hospital over a 5-year period, less than 50% had these conditions. Markedly elevated IgE levels in the rest of the patients were associated with asthma, allergic rhinitis and food allergy, instances where the test is of limited diagnostic utility.