Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- [Results of therapeutics strategy of protein-energy wasting in chronic hemodialysis: A prospective study during 12 months.] [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Nephrol Ther 2015 Jan 9.
- Survey of dietary and medication practices of owners of cats with chronic kidney disease. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Feline Med Surg 2014 Dec 22.
- A mixed-methods qualitative research study to develop a complex intervention for weight loss and anorexia in advanced cancer: The Family Approach to Weight and Eating. [Journal Article]
- Palliat Med 2015 Feb; 29(2):164-76.
- Correlation Between Nutritional Markers and Appetite Self-Assessments in Hemodialysis Patients. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Ren Nutr 2014 Dec 9.
- Brief versions of the FACIT-fatigue and FAACT subscales for patients with non-small cell lung cancer cachexia. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Support Care Cancer 2014 Oct 29.
- Esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in six harbor seals (Phoca vitulina spp.). [Journal Article]
- J Zoo Wildl Med 2014 Sep; 45(3):620-31.
- Appetite stimulants for people with cystic fibrosis. [Journal Article, Meta-Analysis, Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't, Review]
- Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014.:CD008190.
- Prevalence of 'being at risk of malnutrition' and associated factors in adult patients receiving nursing care at home in Belgium. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Int J Nurs Pract 2014 May 9.
- ANTHROPOMETRICS IDENTIFY WASTING IN PATIENTS UNDERGOING SURGERY FOR ENCAPSULATING PERITONEAL SCLEROSIS. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Perit Dial Int 2014 Mar 1.
METHODS:Of 51 patients admitted to this EPS specialist center hospital for their first peritonectomy in the study period, 50 had a preoperative dietetic assessment, and 49 underwent upper-arm anthropometry. ♢
RESULTS:Mean body mass index (BMI) was 20.6 kg/m(2). Mean weight loss was 14% of body weight in the preceding 6 months, with 35 of 50 patients losing more than 10%. On anthropometry, 25 of 49 patients were below the 5th percentile for mid-arm circumference (MAC), 17 of 49 were below for triceps skinfold thickness (TSF), and 21 of 49 were below for mid-arm muscle circumference (MAMC). Mean handgrip strength (HGS) was 60% of normal, with 43 of 49 patients being below 85% of normal. Appetite was poor in 21 of 50 patients, and 37 of 50 had upper and 40 of 50 had lower GI symptoms. By subjective global assessment, 27 of 51 patients were graded as severely malnourished, and 5 of 51, as well-nourished. Mean serum albumin was 28 g/L and did not correlate with BMI, MAC, TSF, MAMC, or HGS. In most patients, C-reactive protein was elevated (mean: 111 mg/L). Preoperative parenteral nutrition was given to 46 of 51 patients for a mean of 21 days. ♢ Discussion: Our findings demonstrate the poor nutrition status of patients admitted for EPS surgical intervention. Anthropometrics reveal depleted fat and lean body mass in EPS patients, which might be a result of anorexia and inflammation, and the reason that albumin was not an accurate marker of nutrition. Poor nutrition status is likely to negatively affect outcome in this patient group. ♢
CONCLUSIONS:Early recognition of GI symptoms may herald a diagnosis of EPS. Optimization of preoperative nutrition status with intensive nutrition support is needed.
- [Systemic and local mechanisms leading to cachexia in cancer]. [English Abstract, Journal Article, Review]
- Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 2013.:1397-409.