Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- The rising cost of hospital care for children with gastroparesis: 2004-2013. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Neurogastroenterol Motil 2016 May 25.
- [Gastroparesis - causes, diagnosis and treatment]. [English Abstract, Journal Article]
- Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2016 May; 136(9):822-6.
BACKGROUNDGastroparesis is a motility disorder of the stomach. The symptoms are non-specific: nausea and vomiting are most common. Stomach pains, early satiety, postprandial fullness and bloating are also frequent symptoms. Current diagnostic criteria require delayed gastric emptying in the absence of any detectable mechanical obstruction. In this review article we elucidate the causes, assessment and treatment options.MATERIAL AND
METHODStructured article search in Embase and PubMed.
RESULTSA number of conditions can lead to gastroparesis. The most frequent somatic cause is diabetes mellitus. Gastroparesis may also be iatrogenically inflicted by means of surgery or drugs. It may be difficult to discriminate between functional dyspepsia and idiopathic gastroparesis. Examination is based on patient history, gastroscopy and measurement of the rate of gastric emptying. Biochemical tests are also relevant for differential diagnosis. The treatment is primarily symptomatic, and consists of dietary measures, fluid therapy, drugs, gastric electrical stimulation, or endoscopic or surgical intervention in the form of insertion of a feeding tube for nutrition and abdominal relief, pyloroplasty or gastrectomy.INTERPRETATION Gastroparesis is a serious motility disorder. The condition may have significant consequences for patients, entailing reduced quality of life, reduced workforce participation and a considerable need for health assistance.
- Esophagus-related Complications during Second-generation Cryoballoon Ablation-Insight from Simultaneous Esophageal Temperature Monitoring from Two Esophageal Probes. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2016 May 25.
- Towards a better drug for gastroparesis- the problem with a "moving" target. [EDITORIAL]
- Gastroenterology 2016 May 20.
- [Therapy of both surgical and non-surgical related complication of gastric cancer for the elderly]. [English Abstract, Journal Article]
- Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi 2016 May 25; 19(5):502-6.
- Pharmacologic Treatment for Pediatric Gastroparesis: A Review of the Literature. [Journal Article, Review]
- J Pediatr Pharmacol Ther 2016 Mar-Apr; 21(2):120-32.
- Gastric peroral endoscopic pyloromyotomy (G-POEM) as a salvage therapy for refractory gastroparesis: a case series of different subtypes. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Neurogastroenterol Motil 2016 May 15.
- Endoscopic Gastric Food Retention in Relation to Scintigraphic Gastric Emptying Delays and Clinical Factors. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Dig Dis Sci 2016 May 19.
- Domperidone is Commonly Prescribed With QT-Interacting Drugs: Review of a Community-based Practice and a Postmarketing Adverse Drug Event Reporting Database. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Clin Gastroenterol 2016 May 13.
- The impact of gastroparesis on diabetes control: Patient perceptions. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Diabetes Complications 2016 Mar 29.