Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Clinical and epidemiological features of leishmaniasis in northwestern-Argentina through a retrospective analysis of recent cases. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Acta Trop 2015 Nov 20.
- A Case of Tuberculous Colitis with Associated Takayasu's Arteritis. [Journal Article]
- J Assoc Physicians India 2015 Jan; 63(1):62-5.
- Importation and Transmission of Parasitic and Other Infectious Diseases Associated with International Adoptees and Refugees Immigrating into the United States of America. [Journal Article, Review]
- Biomed Res Int 2015.:763715.
- [Abdominal tuberculosis, a diagnostic dilemma: report of a series of cases]. [English Abstract, Journal Article]
- Medwave 2015; 15(8):e6271.
- Co-existent Ascariasis and Multiloculated Tuberculous Pleurisy Treated with Intrapleural Streptokinase. [Journal Article]
- J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2015 Oct; 25(10 Suppl):S105-7.
- In vitro Antimicrobial Study for Biological Evaluation of Clerodendrum infortunatum Linn. [Journal Article]
- Recent Pat Antiinfect Drug Discov 2015; 10(2):98-104.
- Lower cytotoxicity, high stability, and long-term antibacterial activity of a poly(methacrylic acid)/isoniazid/rifampin nanogel against multidrug-resistant intestinal Mycobacterium tuberculosis. [Journal Article]
- Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2016 Jan 1.:659-65.
- Perforated Intestinal Tuberculosis in a Non-AIDS Immunocompromised Patient. [Journal Article]
- Am J Case Rep 2015.:719-22.
BACKGROUNDIntestinal tuberculosis can mimic many conditions. The incidence of intestinal tuberculosis in developed countries has risen in tandem with the increase in patients with immunocompromised states. This is a condition which needs to be considered in patients who present with symptoms and signs of bowel perforation on a background of immunosuppression in order to obtain the correct diagnosis and, consequently, the correct treatment. CASE REPORT We report a patient with a background of sarcoidosis who had been on mycophenolate mofetil, tacrolimus, and high-dose prednisolone. He presented with abdominal pain without overt peritonitis. Initial imaging showed small locules of free air in the abdominal cavity. The patient was managed with intravenous antibiotics as upfront surgery was deemed to be high risk. However, on a repeat imaging scan 3 days later, larger locules of gas were seen within the abdominal cavity, indicating progression and non-resolution of his acute condition. The patient was brought to the operating theatre and a perforation at the ileum was found. A segment of small bowel containing the perforation was resected. Histology showed the presence of acid-fast bacilli (AFB) on Ziehl-Neelsen stain, leading to a diagnosis of intestinal tuberculosis.
CONCLUSIONSA high index of suspicion for intestinal tuberculosis is needed in patients who are on immunosuppression. Intestinal tuberculosis presenting with perforation is unlikely to lead to spontaneous resolution without operative management, and patients should be brought to the operating theatre for immediate surgery.
- Soluble Dietary Fibers Can Protect the Small Intestinal Mucosa Without Affecting the Anti-inflammatory Effect of Indomethacin in Adjuvant-Induced Arthritis Rats. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Dig Dis Sci 2015 Sep 30.
- Bringing care to the community: expanding access to health care in rural Malawi through mobile health clinics. [Journal Article]
- Public Health Action 2014 Dec 21; 4(4):252-8.