Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Gut Microbiota and Malnutrition. [REVIEW, JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Microb Pathog 2016 Feb 4.
- Developmental contributions to macronutrient selection: A randomized controlled trial in adult survivors of malnutrition. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Evol Med Public Health 2016 Jan 27.
- Gut Microbiota in Children Hospitalized with Oedematous and Non-Oedematous Severe Acute Malnutrition in Uganda. [Journal Article]
- PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2016 Jan; 10(1):e0004369.
- Omitting edema measurement: how much acute malnutrition are we missing? [Comparative Study, Evaluation Studies, Journal Article, Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't]
- Am J Clin Nutr 2015 Nov; 102(5):1176-81.
- A kwashiorkor case due to the use of an exclusive rice milk diet to treat atopic dermatitis. [Journal Article]
- Nutr J 2015.:83.
- Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Kenyan Leafy Green Vegetables, Wild Fruits, and Medicinal Plants with Potential Relevance for Kwashiorkor. [Journal Article]
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015.:807158.
Background.Inflammation, together with related oxidative stress, is linked with the etiology of kwashiorkor, a form of severe acute malnutrition in children. A diet rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytochemicals may offer potential for the prevention and treatment of kwashiorkor. We selected and assayed five leafy green vegetables, two wild fruits, and six medicinal plants from Kenya for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Consensus regarding medicinal plant use was established from ethnobotanical data. Methods. Antioxidant activity and phenolic content were determined using the oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) assay and Folin-Ciocalteu procedure, respectively. Anti-inflammatory activity was assessed in vitro targeting the inflammatory mediator tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α).
Results.Mangifera indica (leaves used medicinally) showed the greatest antioxidant activity (5940 ± 632 µM TE/µg) and total phenolic content (337 ± 3 mg GAE/g) but Amaranthus dubius (leafy vegetable) showed the greatest inhibition of TNF-α (IC50 = 9 ± 1 μg/mL), followed by Ocimum americanum (medicinal plant) (IC50 = 16 ± 1 μg/mL). Informant consensus was significantly correlated with anti-inflammatory effects among active medicinal plants (r (2) = 0.7639, P = 0.0228).
Conclusions.Several plant species commonly consumed by Kenyan children possess activity profiles relevant to the prevention and treatment of kwashiorkor and warrant further investigation.
- Draft Genome Sequence of the Lactobacillus mucosae Strain Marseille. [Journal Article]
- Genome Announc 2015; 3(4)
- Draft Genome Sequence of the Lactobacillus agilis Strain Marseille. [Journal Article]
- Genome Announc 2015; 3(4)
- The Emerging Role of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Evaluation of Metabolic Cardiomyopathies. [Journal Article]
- Horm Metab Res 2015 Aug; 47(9):623-32.
- Interventions Targeting Child Undernutrition in Developing Countries May Be Undermined by Dietary Exposure to Aflatoxin. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2015 Jul 15.:0.