Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Environmental carcinogenesis-100th anniversary of creating cancer. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Cancer Sci 2015 Aug 27.
- Digestive cancers and occupational asbestos exposure: incidence study in a cohort of asbestos plant workers. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Occup Environ Med 2015 Aug 24.
- New Markers for Separating Benign From Malignant Mesothelial Proliferations: Are We There Yet? [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Arch Pathol Lab Med 2015 Aug 19.
- Prognostic Significance of Morphologic Growth Patterns and Mitotic Index of Epithelioid Malignant Peritoneal Mesothelioma. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Histopathology 2015 Aug 14.
- Ectopic ACTH secretion (EAS) associated to a well-differentiated peritoneal mesothelioma: case report. [Journal Article]
- BMC Endocr Disord 2015; 15(1):40.
- Frequent genomic rearrangements of BRCA1 associated protein-1 (BAP1) gene in Japanese malignant mesothelioma-characterization of deletions at exon level. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Hum Genet 2015 Aug 6.
- Repeat cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for recurrent diffuse malignant peritoneal mesothelioma. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Eur J Surg Oncol 2015 Jul 16.
- Primary Peritoneal Mesothelioma Resulting in Small Bowel Obstruction: A Case Report and Review of Literature. [Journal Article]
- Am J Case Rep 2015.:496-500.
BACKGROUNDPeritoneal mesothelioma is a rare malignancy that affects the serosal surfaces of the peritoneum. The peritoneum is the second most common site of mesothelium affected following the pleura. The aggressive nature and vague presentation pose many obstacles in not only diagnosis but also the treatment of patients with this disease. CASE REPORT We present a case of a 76-year-old woman who presented with small bowel obstruction secondary to carcinomatosis secondary to primary peritoneal mesothelioma. The patient had multiple risk factors with asbestos exposure and prior therapeutic radiation.
CONCLUSIONSWe discuss the highly varied and elusive presentation of peritoneal mesothelioma. Cumulative asbestos exposure, either directly or indirectly, remains the leading cause of mesothelioma. However, there are other non-asbestos etiologies. Small bowel obstruction often is a late-presenting symptom of widespread tumor burden. A concise review of the current diagnostic and surgical treatment of primary peritoneal mesothelioma demonstrates that early diagnosis and implementation remains vital.
- Prognostic Significance of Ki67 Expression in Malignant Peritoneal Mesothelioma. [Journal Article]
- Am J Clin Oncol 2015 Aug; 38(4):388-94.
- Downregulation of TBXAS1 in an iron-induced malignant mesothelioma model. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Cancer Sci 2015 Jul 24.