Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Role of Paricalcitol in Modulating the Immune Response in Patients with Renal Disease. [Journal Article]
- Int J Endocrinol 2015.:765364.
Introduction.The aim was to highlight the existence of a relationship between vitamin D deficiency, chronic inflammation, and proteinuria, by measuring neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin (NGAL) and common inflammatory markers after administration of paricalcitol, a vitamin D analog, in vivo and in vitro. Methods. 40 patients with end-stage chronic kidney disease (CKD) and secondary hyperparathyroidism and 40 healthy subjects were enrolled. Serum calcium, phosphorus, 25(OH)-vitamin D, parathyroid hormone (PTH), erythrocyte sedimentation rate, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein, interleukin- (IL-) 17, IL-6, IL-1β, interferon-gamma (IFN-γ), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-α), plasmatic and urinary NGAL, and 24 h albuminuria and proteinuria were measured before and 24 h after an intravenous bolus of paricalcitol (5 mcg). Human peripheral blood mononuclear cells were isolated and stimulated with phytohaemagglutinin. NGAL, IL-1β, IL-17, IL-6, TNF-α, and IFN-γ were measured in the culture medium and in the 24 h urine collection.
Results.25(OH)-vitamin D was lower in CKD than in controls (p < 0.0001), while inflammatory markers were higher in CKD group (p < 0.0001). In vivo and in vitro studies showed a downregulation of NGAL, IL-17, IL-6, IL-1β, TNF-α, and IFN-γ after paricalcitol administration (p < 0.0001).
Conclusions.25(OH)-vitamin D regulates immune and inflammatory processes. Further studies are needed to confirm these data in order to improve the treatment of CKD patients.
- The Long-Term Effect of Hepatitis C Virus on the Outcome of Live-Donor Kidney Transplant Recipients. A Retrospective Study. [Journal Article]
- Exp Clin Transplant 2015 Oct; 13(5):402-7.
- Mammalian Target of Rapamycin Inhibitors and Nephrotoxicity: Fact or Fiction. [Journal Article]
- Exp Clin Transplant 2015 Oct; 13(5):377-86.
- Renal extramedullary hematopoiesis: interstitial and glomerular pathology. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Mod Pathol 2015 Oct 9.
- Increased urinary Smad3 is significantly correlated with glomerular hyperfiltration and a reduced glomerular filtration rate and is a new urinary biomarker for diabetic nephropathy. [Journal Article]
- BMC Nephrol 2015; 16(1):159.
- An Unusual Course of Segmental Renal Artery Displays a Rare Case of Hilar Nutcracker Phenomenon. [Journal Article]
- Case Rep Med 2015.:249015.
- Fluorescence dilution technique for measurement of albumin reflection coefficient in isolated glomeruli. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2015 Oct 7.:ajprenal.00311.2015.
- Clinical and histopathological features resembling those of human focal segmental glomerulosclerosis in a cat with nonimmune-mediated glomerulonephropathy. [Journal Article]
- BMC Vet Res 2015; 11(1):251.
- Report of six kidney disease-associated Castleman's disease cases. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Clin Nephrol 2015 Oct 7.
- [Choosing the right medications in elderly patients with chronic kidney disease]. [English Abstract, Journal Article]
- Recenti Prog Med 2015 Oct; 106(10):475-8.