Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Chinese vegetative materia medica in a venerological treatise by Jean Astruc from 1740. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Ethnopharmacol 2016 Apr 28.
- Seroprevalence rates of transfusion-transmitted infections among blood donors in Jordan. [Journal Article]
- J Infect Dev Ctries 2016; 10(4):377-83.
- The Prevalence of Syphilis Infection and Its Associated Factors in the General Population of Rwanda: A National Household-Based Survey. [Journal Article]
- J Sex Transm Dis 2016.:4980417.
Background.The prevalence of syphilis among HIV-infected people is a public health concern, but there is limited literature to describe the true burden of syphilis in resource-limited settings. We conducted this survey in 2013 to estimate the prevalence of syphilis. Methods. A cross-sectional survey. Participants were tested for syphilis and HIV. Factors associated with syphilis infection were identified.
Results.The prevalence of syphilis was 0.9% (95% CI: 0.7-1.1). This prevalence was higher in the 25-49-year-old age (1.1% [95% CI: 0.8-1.3]) than in the 15-24-year-old age (0.6% (95% CI: 0.4-0.9)). Women with lower education had a higher prevalence of syphilis (1.2% (95% CI: 0.9-1.5)) compared to others (0.4% (95% CI: 0.2-0.8)). This prevalence among HIV-infected people was six times higher: 4.8% (95% CI: 2.9-7.9) compared to HIV-negative people (0.8% (95% CI: 0.6-1.0)). The prevalence of syphilis among HIV-infected females was 5.9% (95% CI: 3.4-10.0). HIV-infected or concurrent sexual partners was associated with increased syphilis prevalence with aOR = 4.2 (95% CI: 2.5-7.2) and aOR = 4.2 (95% CI: 2.8-6.5), respectively.
Conclusions.The prevalence of syphilis was significantly higher among HIV-infected patients. HIV infection and concurrent sexual partners are associated with an increased prevalence of syphilis. Preventing HIV might help in preventing syphilis.
- Ocular syphilis: opportunities to address important unanswered questions. [EDITORIAL]
- Sex Transm Infect 2016 Apr 26.
- Condomless Vaginal Intercourse and Its Associates among Men Who Have Sex with Men in China. [Journal Article]
- PLoS One 2016; 11(4):e0154132.
- Phytochemical screening, safety evaluation, anti-inflammatory and analgesic studies of the leaf extracts of Sterculia tragacantha. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Complement Integr Med 2016 Apr 26.
- Increased HIV Testing among Men Who Have Sex with Men from 2008 to 2012, Nanjing, China. [Journal Article]
- PLoS One 2016; 11(4):e0154466.
- Risk behaviours of an interrelated syphilis-infected sexual network of men who have sex with men. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Clin Nurs 2016 Apr 22.
- Syphilis epidemiology in 1994-2013, molecular epidemiological strain typing and determination of macrolide resistance in Treponema pallidum in 2013-2014 in Tuva Republic, Russia. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- APMIS 2016 Apr 22.