Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Expectancy of stress-reducing aromatherapy effect and performance on a stress-sensitive cognitive task. [Journal Article]
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015.:419812.
Objective.Stress-reducing therapies help maintain cognitive performance during stress. Aromatherapy is popular for stress reduction, but its effectiveness and mechanism are unclear. This study examined stress-reducing effects of aromatherapy on cognitive function using the go/no-go (GNG) task performance and event related potentials (ERP) components sensitive to stress. The study also assessed the importance of expectancy in aromatherapy actions. Methods. 81 adults were randomized to 3 aroma groups (active experimental, detectable, and undetectable placebo) and 2 prime subgroups (prime suggesting stress-reducing aroma effects or no-prime). GNG performance, ERPs, subjective expected aroma effects, and stress ratings were assessed at baseline and poststress.
Results.No specific aroma effects on stress or cognition were observed. However, regardless of experienced aroma, people receiving a prime displayed faster poststress median reaction times than those receiving no prime. A significant interaction for N200 amplitude indicated divergent ERP patterns between baseline and poststress for go and no-go stimuli depending on the prime subgroup. Furthermore, trends for beneficial prime effects were shown on poststress no-go N200/P300 latencies and N200 amplitude.
Conclusion.While there were no aroma-specific effects on stress or cognition, these results highlight the role of expectancy for poststress response inhibition and attention.
- Inhalation Administration of the Sesquiterpenoid Aristolen-1(10)-en-9-ol from Nardostachys chinensis Has a Sedative Effect via the GABAergic System. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Planta Med 2015 Mar 23.
- There Is Something in the Air: Testing the Efficacy of a new Olfactory Stress Relief Method (AromaStick®). [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Stress Health 2015 Mar 18.
- Citrus bergamia essential oil: from basic research to clinical application. [Journal Article, Review]
- Front Pharmacol 2015.:36.
- Essential oils and distilled straws of lavender and lavandin: a review of current use and potential application in white biotechnology. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2015 Mar 13.
- Estimation of the environmental effect of natural volatile organic compounds from Chamaecyparis obtusa and their effect on atopic dermatitis-like skin lesions in mice. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Mol Med Rep 2015 Mar 5.
- [Effects of special mouth care with an aroma solution on oral status and oral cavity microorganism growth in elderly stroke patients]. [English Abstract, Journal Article]
- J Korean Acad Nurs 2015 Feb 27; 45(1):46-53.
- Anti-acetylcholinesterase and Antioxidant Activities of Inhaled Juniper Oil on Amyloid Beta (1-42)-Induced Oxidative Stress in the Rat Hippocampus. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Neurochem Res 2015 Mar 6.
- Essential Oil of Croton zehntneri and Its Main Constituent Anethole Block Excitability of Rat Peripheral Nerve. [Journal Article]
- Planta Med 2015 Mar; 81(4):292-7.
- The effect of aromatherapy massage with lavender oil on severity of primary dysmenorrhea in Arsanjan students. [Journal Article]
- Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2015 Jan-Feb; 20(1):156-60.