Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- [ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE OF ESCHERICHIA COLI OF THE INTESTINAL MICROBIOTA IN PATIENTS WITH FAMILIAL MEDITERRANEAN FEVER]. [English Abstract, Journal Article]
- Klin Med (Mosk) 2015; 93(7):37-9.
- Recurrent Macroscopic Hematuria and Abdominal Pain: Questions and Answers. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Iran J Public Health 2015 Aug; 44(8):1143-1145.
- Study of the association of IL-1β and IL-1RA gene polymorphisms with occurrence and severity of Familial Mediterranean fever. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Eur J Med Genet 2015 Nov 13.
- Killer Cell Immunoglobulin-Like Receptor (KIR) Genotype Distribution in Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) Patients. [Journal Article]
- Med Sci Monit 2015.:3547-54.
BACKGROUNDFamilial Mediterranean fever (FMF) is an autosomal recessive autoinflammatory disease predominantly affecting Mediterranean populations. The gene associated with FMF is the MEFV gene, which encodes for a protein called pyrin. Mutations of pyrin lead to uncontrolled attacks of inflammation, and subclinical inflammation continues during attack-free intervals. Killer cell immunoglobulin-like receptor (KIR) genes encode HLA class I receptors expressed by NK cells. The aim this study was to look for immunogenetic determinants in the pathogenesis of FMF and find out if KIR are related to susceptibility to disease or complications like renal amyloidosis. MATERIAL AND
METHODSOne hundred and five patients with FMF and 100 healthy individuals were involved in the study. Isolated DNA from peripheral blood was amplified by sequence specific PCR probes and analyzed by Luminex for KIR genotypes. Fisher Exact test was used to evaluate the variation of KIR gene distribution.
RESULTSAll patients and healthy controls expressed the framework genes. An activator KIR gene, KIR2DS2, was significantly more frequent in FMF patients (p=0.036). Renal amyloidosis and presence of arthritis were not associated with KIR genes and genotype. KIR3DL1 gene was more common in patients with high serum CRP (p=0.016).
CONCLUSIONSAccording to our findings, we suggest that presence of KIR2DS2, which is an activator gene for NK cell functions, might be related to the autoinflammation in FMF. The potential effect of KIR genes on amyloidosis and other clinical features requires studies with larger sample sizes.
- Colchicine, Biologic Agents and More for the Treatment of Familial Mediterranean Fever. The Old, the New, and the Rare. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Curr Med Chem 2015 Nov 17.
- Performance of Different Diagnostic Criteria for Familial Mediterranean Fever in Children with Periodic Fevers: Results from a Multicenter International Registry. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Rheumatol 2015 Nov 15.
- Evaluation of executive functions in children and adolescents with familial Mediterranean fever. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Child Neuropsychol 2015 Nov 12.:1-11.
- Anakinra induces complete remission of nephrotic syndrome in a patient with familial Mediterranean fever and amyloidosis. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Nefrologia 2015 Nov 7.
- Intestinal malrotation as a misdiagnosis of pediatric colchicine resistant familial Mediterranean fever. [Journal Article]
- Pediatr Rheumatol Online J 2015; 13(1):45.
- Patient with FMF and Triple MEFV Gene Mutations. [Journal Article]
- Med Arch 2015 Aug; 69(4):269-70.