Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Upper extremity nerve block: how can benefit, duration, and safety be improved? An update. [Journal Article, Review]
- F1000Res 2016.
- [Characteristics of subjects under opiate maintenance treatment in primary care using the OPEMA data 2013]. [JOURNAL ARTICLE, ENGLISH ABSTRACT]
- Therapie 2016 Jun; 71(3):307-313.
- Pharmacotherapy for Substance Use Disorders. [Journal Article, Review]
- Med Clin North Am 2016 Jul; 100(4):891-910.
- Pharmacokinetics of bupivacaine after intraperitoneal administration to cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy. [Journal Article]
- Am J Vet Res 2016 Jun; 77(6):641-5.
OBJECTIVETo evaluate pharmacokinetics of bupivacaine after IP administration to cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy. ANIMALS 8 healthy cats. PROCEDURES Anesthesia was induced with propofol and maintained with isoflurane. Buprenorphine (0.02 mg/kg, IV) and meloxicam (0.2 mg/kg, SC) were administered. A 20-gauge catheter was inserted into a jugular vein for blood sample collection. A ventral midline incision was made, and a solution of 0.5% bupivacaine (2 mg/kg) diluted with an equal volume of saline (0.9% NaCl) solution (final concentration, 0.25% bupivacaine) was injected into the peritoneal space over the right and left ovarian pedicles and caudal aspect of the uterus before ovariohysterectomy. Cats were monitored for signs of bupivacaine toxicosis. Venous blood samples (2 mL) were collected before (time 0) and 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120, and 240 minutes after bupivacaine administration. Plasma bupivacaine concentrations were determined with a liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method. Pharmacokinetic parameters were determined by data plotting followed by analysis with a noncompartmental model.
RESULTSNo signs of bupivacaine toxicosis were observed. Maximum bupivacaine plasma concentration was 1,030 ± 497.5 ng/mL at a mean ± SD value of 30 ± 24 minutes after administration. Mean elimination half-life was 4.79 ± 2.7 hours. Mean clearance indexed by bioavailability and volume of distribution indexed by bioavailability were 0.35 ± 0.18 L•h/kg and 2.10 ± 0.84 L/kg, respectively.
CONCLUSIONSAND CLINICAL RELEVANCE Intraperitoneal administration of bupivacaine resulted in concentrations that did not cause observable toxicosis. Studies to investigate analgesic effects for this technique in cats are warranted.
- Treatment Quality for Buprenorphine Care: The Pot at the End of the Rainbow. [Journal Article]
- J Addict Med 2016 May-Jun; 10(3):210-1.
- Measuring Quality of Buprenorphine Care. [Journal Article]
- J Addict Med 2016 May-Jun; 10(3):209-10.
- Mediation of buprenorphine analgesia by a combination of traditional and truncated mu opioid receptor splice variants. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Synapse 2016 May 25.
- Buprenorphine compared with methadone to treat pregnant women with opioid use disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis of safety in the mother, fetus and child. [REVIEW, JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Addiction 2016 May 25.
- Pharmacotherapy for opioid dependence in jails and prisons: research review update and future directions. [Journal Article, Review]
- Subst Abuse Rehabil 2016.:27-40.