Download the Free Unbound MEDLINE PubMed App to your smartphone or tablet.
Available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Android:
Available for Mac and Windows Desktops and laptops:
- Supplementation of sodium butyrate protects mice from the development of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Br J Nutr 2015 Oct 9.:1-11.
- Effect of Storage Temperature on Key Functions of Cultured Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells. [Journal Article]
- J Ophthalmol 2015.:263756.
Purpose.Replacement of the diseased retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) with cells capable of performing the specialized functions of the RPE is the aim of cell replacement therapy for treatment of macular degenerative diseases. A storage method for RPE is likely to become a prerequisite for the establishment of such treatment. Herein, we analyze the effect of storage temperature on key functions of cultured RPE cells. Methods. Cultured ARPE-19 cells were stored in Minimum Essential Medium at 4°C, 16°C, and 37°C for seven days. Total RNA was isolated and the gene expression profile was determined using DNA microarrays. Comparison of the microarray expression values with qRT-PCR analysis of selected genes validated the results.
Results.Expression levels of several key genes involved in phagocytosis, pigment synthesis, the visual cycle, adherens, and tight junctions, and glucose and ion transport were maintained close to control levels in cultures stored at 4°C and 16°C. Cultures stored at 37°C displayed regulational changes in a larger subset of genes related to phagocytosis, adherens, and tight junctions.
Conclusion.RPE cultures stored at 4°C and 16°C for one week are capable of maintaining the expression levels of genes important for key RPE functions close to control levels.
- Biochemical and biophysical analyses of tight junction permeability made of claudin-16 and claudin-19 dimerization. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Mol Biol Cell 2015 Oct 7.
- Claudin-11 Tight Junctions in Myelin Are a Barrier to Diffusion and Lack Strong Adhesive Properties. [Journal Article]
- Biophys J 2015 Oct 6; 109(7):1387-97.
- Tight junction defects are seen in the buccal mucosa of patients receiving standard dose chemotherapy for cancer. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Support Care Cancer 2015 Oct 6.
- Fendiline inhibits proliferation and invasion of pancreatic cancer cells by interfering with ADAM10 activation and β-catenin signaling. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Oncotarget 2015 Sep 30.
- Neuroprotective effects of hemicraniectomy in malign middle cerebral artery infarctions: experimental study. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- J Neurosurg Sci 2015 Oct 6.
- How Cryptococcus interacts with the blood-brain barrier. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Future Microbiol 2015 Oct 6.
- Polysaccharides from Acanthopanax senticosus enhances intestinal integrity through inhibiting TLR4/NF-κB signaling pathways in lipopolysaccharide-challenged mice. [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Anim Sci J 2015 Oct 5.
- Dietary pantothenic acid depressed the gill immune and physical barrier function via NF-κB, TOR, Nrf2, p38MAPK and MLCK signaling pathways in grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella). [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
- Fish Shellfish Immunol 2015 Sep 29.