This procedure is contraindicated for:
- Patients with bleeding disorders, especially disorders associated with uremia and cytotoxic chemotherapy.
- Patients with cardiac conditions or arrhythmias.
- Patients with bowel perforation, acute peritonitis, ischemic bowel necrosis, toxic megacolon, diverticulitis, recent bowel surgery, advanced pregnancy, severe cardiac or pulmonary disease, recent myocardial infarction, known or suspected pulmonary embolus, large abdominal aortic or iliac aneurysm, or coagulation abnormality.
Factors that may impair clear imaging:
- Inability of the patient to cooperate or remain still during the procedure because of age, significant pain, or mental status.
- Strictures or other abnormalities preventing passage of the scope.
- Barium swallow or upper gastrointestinal (GI) series within the preceding 48 hr.
- Severe lower GI bleeding or the presence of feces, barium, blood, or blood clots.
- Failure to follow dietary restrictions before the procedure may cause the procedure to be canceled or repeated.
- Use of bowel preparations that include laxatives or enemas should be avoided in pregnant patients or patients with inflammatory bowel disease unless specifically directed by a health-care provider (HCP).