This procedure is contraindicated for:
- Patients who smoke or have suffered carbon monoxide inhalation, because O2 levels may be falsely elevated.
Factors Result Incorrect Values:
- Patients with anemic conditions reflecting a reduction in hemoglobin, the O2-carrying component in the blood.
- Excessive light surrounding the patient, such as from surgical lights.
- Impaired cardiopulmonary function.
- Lipid emulsion therapy and presence of certain dyes.
- Movement of the finger or ear or improper placement of probe or clip.
- Nail polish, artificial fingernails, and skin pigmentation when a finger probe is used.
- Vasoconstriction from cool skin temperature, drugs, hypotension, or vessel obstruction causing a decrease in blood flow.
- Accuracy for most units is plus or minus 4% with a standard deviation of 1%.
Pulse Oximetry has been found in Davis's Lab & Diagnostic Tests
If you are a registered user, please login below.
If not, learn more about gaining full access.
- Try and Buy
- Nursing Central puts five fully integrated references at your fingertips on mobile devices and the web. See how Nursing Central works by clicking the sample entries below or purchase a subscription for the web and your mobile device.
View these free topics online now.