Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Proliferative disorder of the retinal blood vessels in premature infants: The normal retinal vascularization occurs nasally at ~36 weeks’ gestational age and temporally at ~40 weeks’ gestational age.
- System(s) affected: nervous
- Synonym(s): ROP; retrolental fibroplasia
- 65.8% of infants weighing <1,251 g at birth and 81.6% of those weighing <1,000 g
- Predominant age: premature infants
- Predominant sex: male = female
Etiology and Pathophysiology
Oxidative processes (influenced by high levels of arterial oxygen) in immature retina may be an important causative factor.
African American infants appear less susceptible.
- Low birth weight
- Poor postnatal weight gain
- Supplemental oxygen; once the retina becomes fully vascularized, oxygen does not affect the retina.
- Supplemental oxygen given to premature infants with moderate ROP will not make the retinopathy worse.
- Maternal diabetes is associated with the development of ROP in premature infants with a birth weight of ≥1,500 g.
Commonly Associated Conditions
Neonatal respiratory distress syndrome
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Domino, Frank J., et al., editors. "Retinopathy of Prematurity." 5-Minute Clinical Consult, 27th ed., Wolters Kluwer, 2020. www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/5-Minute-Clinical-Consult/116905/all/Retinopathy_of_Prematurity.
Retinopathy of Prematurity. In: Domino FJF, Baldor RAR, Golding JJ, et al, eds. 5-Minute Clinical Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2020. https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/5-Minute-Clinical-Consult/116905/all/Retinopathy_of_Prematurity. Accessed June 5, 2023.
Retinopathy of Prematurity. (2020). In Domino, F. J., Baldor, R. A., Golding, J., & Stephens, M. B. (Eds.), 5-Minute Clinical Consult (27th ed.). Wolters Kluwer. https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/5-Minute-Clinical-Consult/116905/all/Retinopathy_of_Prematurity
Retinopathy of Prematurity [Internet]. In: Domino FJF, Baldor RAR, Golding JJ, Stephens MBM, editors. 5-Minute Clinical Consult. Wolters Kluwer; 2020. [cited 2023 June 05]. Available from: https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/5-Minute-Clinical-Consult/116905/all/Retinopathy_of_Prematurity.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Retinopathy of Prematurity ID - 116905 ED - Domino,Frank J, ED - Baldor,Robert A, ED - Golding,Jeremy, ED - Stephens,Mark B, BT - 5-Minute Clinical Consult, Updating UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/5-Minute-Clinical-Consult/116905/all/Retinopathy_of_Prematurity PB - Wolters Kluwer ET - 27 DB - 5-Minute Clinical Consult DP - Unbound Medicine ER -