- Graves' disease
- Toxic multinodular goiter
- Toxic adenoma
- Subacute (de Quervain's) thyroiditis
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis (may have initial hyperthyroid phase)
- Exogenous thyroid hormone ingestion
- Postpartum thyroiditis
- Jod-Basedow phenomenon (in endemic or multinodular goiter, hyperthyroidism due to high iodine intake, eg, amiodarone, radiocontrast)
- Thyroiditis after radioiodine administration
- Amiodarone-induced thyroiditis
- Struma ovarii
- High hCG level: pregnancy, trophoblastic tumor, testicular malignancy
- Thyroid secreting hormone hypersecretion by pituitary tumor (rare)
- "Subclinical" hyperthyroidism: low thyroid secreting hormone, clinically euthyroid, normal T4, common in elderly (10%), risk of atrial fibrillation and osteoporosis
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Zeiger, Roni F.. "Hyperthyroidism." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. 5-Minute Clinical Consult, www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114311/all/Hyperthyroidism.
Zeiger RFR. Hyperthyroidism. Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114311/all/Hyperthyroidism. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Zeiger, R. F. (2015). Hyperthyroidism. In Diagnosaurus (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114311/all/Hyperthyroidism
Zeiger RFR. Hyperthyroidism [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114311/all/Hyperthyroidism.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Hyperthyroidism ID - 114311 A1 - Zeiger,Roni F, BT - Diagnosaurus UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114311/all/Hyperthyroidism PB - McGraw-Hill Education ET - 4 DB - 5-Minute Clinical Consult DP - Unbound Medicine ER -