Primary adrenal insufficiency (Addison’s disease)
- Surgical removal or trauma
- Infection, e.g., tuberculosis, histoplasmosis
- Adrenal hemorrhage
- Metastatic cancer
- Hemochromatosis or amyloidosis
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Secondary adrenal insufficiency
- Pituitary failure (atrophy, necrosis, tumor)
- Exogenous steroids
- Other types of shock, e.g., septic, cardiogenic, hypovolemic, anaphylactic
- Hyperkalemia due to other causes, e.g., renal failure, rhabdomyolysis
- Hyponatremia due to other causes, e.g., SIADH, cirrhosis, vomiting
- Abdominal pain due to other causes
Acute adrenal insufficiency
is a sample topic from the Diagnosaurus
To view other topics, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
5-Minute Clinical Consult (5MCC) app and website powered by Unbound Medicine helps you diagnose and manage 900+ medical conditions. Exclusive bonus features include Diagnosaurus DDx, 200 pediatrics topics, and medical news feeds. Complete Product Information.
Last updated: January 14, 2015
Zeiger, Roni F.. "Acute Adrenal Insufficiency." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. 5minute, www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency.
Zeiger RF. Acute adrenal insufficiency. Diagnosaurus. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency. Accessed October 19, 2019.
Zeiger, R. F. (2015). Acute adrenal insufficiency. In Diagnosaurus. Available from https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency
Zeiger RF. Acute Adrenal Insufficiency [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. [cited 2019 October 19]. Available from: https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Acute adrenal insufficiency
ID - 114318
A1 - Zeiger,Roni F,
Y1 - 2015/01/14/
BT - Diagnosaurus
UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/5minute/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency
PB - McGraw-Hill Education
ET - 4
DB - 5minute
DP - Unbound Medicine