Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Transbronchial needle aspiration in the diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma.
J Med Assoc Thai. 1999 Aug; 82(8):765-9.JM

Abstract

Transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) via a fiberoptic bronchoscope has been used for diagnosis of lung cancer by Wang since 1981. The technique uses a fiberoptic bronchoscope with a flexible needle that can penetrate the wall of the trachea and major bronchi. It is still underutilized and markedly depends on the physician's skill. We present our experience of TBNA for diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma. TBNA was performed on 47 consecutive patients with suspected lung cancer at the time of diagnosis bronchoscopy. Thirty six patients were diagnosed with bronchogenic carcinoma. TBNA demonstrated bronchogenic carcinoma in 61.1 per cent of the cases (22 of 36) and TBNA alone confirmed a malignant diagnosis in 33.3 per cent (12 of 36). The overall diagnostic yield of bronchoscope utilizing the conventional techniques of bronchial washing, brushings and biopsy was 50 per cent. With the addition of TBNA, bronchoscopy was diagnostic in 83.3 per cent of the patients. There were no serious complications. We concluded that TBNA is a safe technique that can significantly increase the diagnostic yield of conventional fiberoptic bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Medicine, Pramongkutklao Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Clinical Trial
Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

10511783

Citation

Vattanathum, A, et al. "Transbronchial Needle Aspiration in the Diagnosis of Bronchogenic Carcinoma." Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand = Chotmaihet Thangphaet, vol. 82, no. 8, 1999, pp. 765-9.
Vattanathum A, Wongsa A, Tantamacharik D, et al. Transbronchial needle aspiration in the diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma. J Med Assoc Thai. 1999;82(8):765-9.
Vattanathum, A., Wongsa, A., Tantamacharik, D., Palwatwichai, A., Chantarotorn, S., & Chanthadisai, N. (1999). Transbronchial needle aspiration in the diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma. Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand = Chotmaihet Thangphaet, 82(8), 765-9.
Vattanathum A, et al. Transbronchial Needle Aspiration in the Diagnosis of Bronchogenic Carcinoma. J Med Assoc Thai. 1999;82(8):765-9. PubMed PMID: 10511783.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Transbronchial needle aspiration in the diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma. AU - Vattanathum,A, AU - Wongsa,A, AU - Tantamacharik,D, AU - Palwatwichai,A, AU - Chantarotorn,S, AU - Chanthadisai,N, PY - 1999/10/8/pubmed PY - 1999/10/8/medline PY - 1999/10/8/entrez SP - 765 EP - 9 JF - Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand = Chotmaihet thangphaet JO - J Med Assoc Thai VL - 82 IS - 8 N2 - Transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) via a fiberoptic bronchoscope has been used for diagnosis of lung cancer by Wang since 1981. The technique uses a fiberoptic bronchoscope with a flexible needle that can penetrate the wall of the trachea and major bronchi. It is still underutilized and markedly depends on the physician's skill. We present our experience of TBNA for diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma. TBNA was performed on 47 consecutive patients with suspected lung cancer at the time of diagnosis bronchoscopy. Thirty six patients were diagnosed with bronchogenic carcinoma. TBNA demonstrated bronchogenic carcinoma in 61.1 per cent of the cases (22 of 36) and TBNA alone confirmed a malignant diagnosis in 33.3 per cent (12 of 36). The overall diagnostic yield of bronchoscope utilizing the conventional techniques of bronchial washing, brushings and biopsy was 50 per cent. With the addition of TBNA, bronchoscopy was diagnostic in 83.3 per cent of the patients. There were no serious complications. We concluded that TBNA is a safe technique that can significantly increase the diagnostic yield of conventional fiberoptic bronchoscopy in the diagnosis of bronchogenic carcinoma. SN - 0125-2208 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/10511783/Transbronchial_needle_aspiration_in_the_diagnosis_of_bronchogenic_carcinoma_ L2 - https://medlineplus.gov/lungcancer.html DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -