Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Hypervolumetric hemodilution with HES 100/0.5 10% in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease (Fontaine, stage II): an open clinical and pharmacological phase IV study.
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2000; 22(1):53-65.CH

Abstract

The efficacy of three weekly interventions with hypervolumetric hemodilution of a new preparation of hydroxyethyl starch (HES 100/0.5, 10%, C2/C6 substitution ratio of 6.5) on pain-free walking distance of patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAOD) stage IIb on the Fontaine classification was investigated. In addition quantitative data on the pharmacokinetic properties of this HES preparation, and it's impact on hemorheology, hemostasis and homeostasis were shown. Ten patients were included according to a predefined protocol, and treated openly with 500 ml HES 100/0.5 10% on nine occasions over 18 days. Pain-free walking distance, the main outcome measure, showed a mean increase of 82 m (+60%). Hematocrit decreased 4 percentage points on average (5.5 percentage points one hour after interventions). Plasma viscosity dropped 5% on average with significant changes immediately after interventions only in patients whose baseline values had been equal to or above the 2 s reference area. Erythrocyte aggregation decreased by 16% in the course of treatment (8% immediately after interventions), systolic blood pressure by 13%, and total protein by 7%. Complement showed a trend towards lower values (-20%), and creatinine, pH and urine viscosity remained unchanged. Apart from complement changes, all reductions mirrored the dilution effects. As to pharmacokinetics, serum mean molecular weight distribution was very similar to that of the infusion. A minor adverse drug reaction (light, spontaneously disappearing pruritus) was observed in one case.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Institute for Transfusion Medicine, University Clinic, Medical School of the Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Clinical Trial
Clinical Trial, Phase IV
Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

10711822

Citation

Koscielny, J, et al. "Hypervolumetric Hemodilution With HES 100/0.5 10% in Patients With Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease (Fontaine, Stage II): an Open Clinical and Pharmacological Phase IV Study." Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation, vol. 22, no. 1, 2000, pp. 53-65.
Koscielny J, Latza R, Pruss A, et al. Hypervolumetric hemodilution with HES 100/0.5 10% in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease (Fontaine, stage II): an open clinical and pharmacological phase IV study. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2000;22(1):53-65.
Koscielny, J., Latza, R., Pruss, A., Kiesewetter, H., Jung, F., Meier, C., & Schimetta, W. (2000). Hypervolumetric hemodilution with HES 100/0.5 10% in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease (Fontaine, stage II): an open clinical and pharmacological phase IV study. Clinical Hemorheology and Microcirculation, 22(1), 53-65.
Koscielny J, et al. Hypervolumetric Hemodilution With HES 100/0.5 10% in Patients With Peripheral Arterial Occlusive Disease (Fontaine, Stage II): an Open Clinical and Pharmacological Phase IV Study. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2000;22(1):53-65. PubMed PMID: 10711822.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Hypervolumetric hemodilution with HES 100/0.5 10% in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease (Fontaine, stage II): an open clinical and pharmacological phase IV study. AU - Koscielny,J, AU - Latza,R, AU - Pruss,A, AU - Kiesewetter,H, AU - Jung,F, AU - Meier,C, AU - Schimetta,W, PY - 2000/3/11/pubmed PY - 2000/4/15/medline PY - 2000/3/11/entrez SP - 53 EP - 65 JF - Clinical hemorheology and microcirculation JO - Clin Hemorheol Microcirc VL - 22 IS - 1 N2 - The efficacy of three weekly interventions with hypervolumetric hemodilution of a new preparation of hydroxyethyl starch (HES 100/0.5, 10%, C2/C6 substitution ratio of 6.5) on pain-free walking distance of patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAOD) stage IIb on the Fontaine classification was investigated. In addition quantitative data on the pharmacokinetic properties of this HES preparation, and it's impact on hemorheology, hemostasis and homeostasis were shown. Ten patients were included according to a predefined protocol, and treated openly with 500 ml HES 100/0.5 10% on nine occasions over 18 days. Pain-free walking distance, the main outcome measure, showed a mean increase of 82 m (+60%). Hematocrit decreased 4 percentage points on average (5.5 percentage points one hour after interventions). Plasma viscosity dropped 5% on average with significant changes immediately after interventions only in patients whose baseline values had been equal to or above the 2 s reference area. Erythrocyte aggregation decreased by 16% in the course of treatment (8% immediately after interventions), systolic blood pressure by 13%, and total protein by 7%. Complement showed a trend towards lower values (-20%), and creatinine, pH and urine viscosity remained unchanged. Apart from complement changes, all reductions mirrored the dilution effects. As to pharmacokinetics, serum mean molecular weight distribution was very similar to that of the infusion. A minor adverse drug reaction (light, spontaneously disappearing pruritus) was observed in one case. SN - 1386-0291 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/10711822/Hypervolumetric_hemodilution_with_HES_100/0_5_10_in_patients_with_peripheral_arterial_occlusive_disease__Fontaine_stage_II_:_an_open_clinical_and_pharmacological_phase_IV_study_ L2 - https://content.iospress.com/openurl?genre=article&issn=1386-0291&volume=22&issue=1&spage=53 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -