Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Pork fat and chicken fat similarly affect plasma lipoprotein metabolism in cynomolgus monkeys fed diets with adequate levels of linoleic acid.
J Nutr 2000; 130(5):1217-24JN

Abstract

The effects on plasma lipoprotein metabolism of replacing pork fat (PF) with chicken fat (CF) (formulated as part of currently recommended prudent diets) was evaluated in 10 male cynomolgus monkeys. Monkeys were rotated through three dietary periods, (each of 10-wk duration), during which total cholesterol (TC), triacylglycerol (TG) and HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C) were measured (7, 8 and 9 wk) and in vivo lipoprotein metabolism evaluated (after 9 wk). Initially, all monkeys were fed a high-fat, high-cholesterol reference diet [38% of energy (en) from fat, 18%en saturated fatty acids (SFA), 10%en monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), 10%en polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), 0.045 mg cholesterol/kJ diet]. Subsequently, monkeys were rotated through two test diets (30%en fat, SFA/MUFA/PUFA 1:1:1, 0.004-0.005 mg cholesterol/kJ diet), in which 80% of the fat was either PF or CF, with the remaining 20% derived from high-linoleic safflower oil. There was no significant difference between the two test diets for TG, TC, nonHDL-C, HDL-C or the ratio of TC/HDL-C. Lipoprotein composition, LDL apolipoprotein B pool size, fractional catabolic rate and transport rate were also not significantly different when monkeys consumed the two test diets. These data suggest that when incorporated into diets following current guidelines and containing adequate PUFA (approximately 7-9%en), PF and CF similarly affect plasma lipids.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA.No affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Language

eng

PubMed ID

10801922

Citation

Gupta, S V., and P Khosla. "Pork Fat and Chicken Fat Similarly Affect Plasma Lipoprotein Metabolism in Cynomolgus Monkeys Fed Diets With Adequate Levels of Linoleic Acid." The Journal of Nutrition, vol. 130, no. 5, 2000, pp. 1217-24.
Gupta SV, Khosla P. Pork fat and chicken fat similarly affect plasma lipoprotein metabolism in cynomolgus monkeys fed diets with adequate levels of linoleic acid. J Nutr. 2000;130(5):1217-24.
Gupta, S. V., & Khosla, P. (2000). Pork fat and chicken fat similarly affect plasma lipoprotein metabolism in cynomolgus monkeys fed diets with adequate levels of linoleic acid. The Journal of Nutrition, 130(5), pp. 1217-24.
Gupta SV, Khosla P. Pork Fat and Chicken Fat Similarly Affect Plasma Lipoprotein Metabolism in Cynomolgus Monkeys Fed Diets With Adequate Levels of Linoleic Acid. J Nutr. 2000;130(5):1217-24. PubMed PMID: 10801922.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Pork fat and chicken fat similarly affect plasma lipoprotein metabolism in cynomolgus monkeys fed diets with adequate levels of linoleic acid. AU - Gupta,S V, AU - Khosla,P, PY - 2000/5/10/pubmed PY - 2000/6/10/medline PY - 2000/5/10/entrez SP - 1217 EP - 24 JF - The Journal of nutrition JO - J. Nutr. VL - 130 IS - 5 N2 - The effects on plasma lipoprotein metabolism of replacing pork fat (PF) with chicken fat (CF) (formulated as part of currently recommended prudent diets) was evaluated in 10 male cynomolgus monkeys. Monkeys were rotated through three dietary periods, (each of 10-wk duration), during which total cholesterol (TC), triacylglycerol (TG) and HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C) were measured (7, 8 and 9 wk) and in vivo lipoprotein metabolism evaluated (after 9 wk). Initially, all monkeys were fed a high-fat, high-cholesterol reference diet [38% of energy (en) from fat, 18%en saturated fatty acids (SFA), 10%en monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), 10%en polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), 0.045 mg cholesterol/kJ diet]. Subsequently, monkeys were rotated through two test diets (30%en fat, SFA/MUFA/PUFA 1:1:1, 0.004-0.005 mg cholesterol/kJ diet), in which 80% of the fat was either PF or CF, with the remaining 20% derived from high-linoleic safflower oil. There was no significant difference between the two test diets for TG, TC, nonHDL-C, HDL-C or the ratio of TC/HDL-C. Lipoprotein composition, LDL apolipoprotein B pool size, fractional catabolic rate and transport rate were also not significantly different when monkeys consumed the two test diets. These data suggest that when incorporated into diets following current guidelines and containing adequate PUFA (approximately 7-9%en), PF and CF similarly affect plasma lipids. SN - 0022-3166 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/10801922/Pork_fat_and_chicken_fat_similarly_affect_plasma_lipoprotein_metabolism_in_cynomolgus_monkeys_fed_diets_with_adequate_levels_of_linoleic_acid_ L2 - https://academic.oup.com/jn/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/jn/130.5.1217 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -