Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

[Distal ureteral lithiasis. ESWL versus ambulatory URS].
Arch Esp Urol. 2001 Nov; 54(9):983-7.AE

Abstract

OBJECTIVE

To present the results achieved in the treatment of 1802 distal ureteral stones treated at the Lithotripsy Unit of the San Cecilio University Hospital over the last 10 years (1990-2000).

METHODS

Stones were treated by extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) or ureteroscopy (URS). ESWL was the initial treatment in 81% of the cases (1460 calculi) and URS in the remaining 19% (342 stones). URS was performed for complication or failed ESWL (102 stones) and ESWL was performed for failed URS, basically due to stone migration (24 stones). Ureterolithotomy was required on 7 occasions. Sedation-analgesia with fentanyl and midazolam was routinely used in URS. Sedation was required in only 55% of the ESWL procedures.

RESULTS

Elective ESWL resolved 93% of the cases, a percentage which is similar to that achieved with URS as first treatment. The ESWL retreatment rate was 1.3. URS was successful in 98% of the cases of failed ESWL.

CONCLUSIONS

There are two treatment modalities for stones in the distal ureter: ESWL and URS. We advocate the use of outpatient URS with sedation preferably in the female patient, impacted stones, obstructive uropathy, stones larger than 2 cm and radiotransparent stones.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Servicio de Urología, Hospital Universitario San Cecilio, C/Dr. Oloriz, 16 18012 Granada, España.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

English Abstract
Journal Article

Language

spa

PubMed ID

11789375

Citation

Miján Ortiz, J L., et al. "[Distal Ureteral Lithiasis. ESWL Versus Ambulatory URS]." Archivos Espanoles De Urologia, vol. 54, no. 9, 2001, pp. 983-7.
Miján Ortiz JL, Gutiérrez Tejero F, López Carmona F, et al. [Distal ureteral lithiasis. ESWL versus ambulatory URS]. Arch Esp Urol. 2001;54(9):983-7.
Miján Ortiz, J. L., Gutiérrez Tejero, F., López Carmona, F., Nogueras Ocaña, M., Arrabal Martín, M., & Zuluaga Gómez, A. (2001). [Distal ureteral lithiasis. ESWL versus ambulatory URS]. Archivos Espanoles De Urologia, 54(9), 983-7.
Miján Ortiz JL, et al. [Distal Ureteral Lithiasis. ESWL Versus Ambulatory URS]. Arch Esp Urol. 2001;54(9):983-7. PubMed PMID: 11789375.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - [Distal ureteral lithiasis. ESWL versus ambulatory URS]. AU - Miján Ortiz,J L, AU - Gutiérrez Tejero,F, AU - López Carmona,F, AU - Nogueras Ocaña,M, AU - Arrabal Martín,M, AU - Zuluaga Gómez,A, PY - 2002/1/16/pubmed PY - 2002/8/1/medline PY - 2002/1/16/entrez SP - 983 EP - 7 JF - Archivos espanoles de urologia JO - Arch Esp Urol VL - 54 IS - 9 N2 - OBJECTIVE: To present the results achieved in the treatment of 1802 distal ureteral stones treated at the Lithotripsy Unit of the San Cecilio University Hospital over the last 10 years (1990-2000). METHODS: Stones were treated by extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) or ureteroscopy (URS). ESWL was the initial treatment in 81% of the cases (1460 calculi) and URS in the remaining 19% (342 stones). URS was performed for complication or failed ESWL (102 stones) and ESWL was performed for failed URS, basically due to stone migration (24 stones). Ureterolithotomy was required on 7 occasions. Sedation-analgesia with fentanyl and midazolam was routinely used in URS. Sedation was required in only 55% of the ESWL procedures. RESULTS: Elective ESWL resolved 93% of the cases, a percentage which is similar to that achieved with URS as first treatment. The ESWL retreatment rate was 1.3. URS was successful in 98% of the cases of failed ESWL. CONCLUSIONS: There are two treatment modalities for stones in the distal ureter: ESWL and URS. We advocate the use of outpatient URS with sedation preferably in the female patient, impacted stones, obstructive uropathy, stones larger than 2 cm and radiotransparent stones. SN - 0004-0614 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/11789375/[Distal_ureteral_lithiasis__ESWL_versus_ambulatory_URS]_ L2 - http://www.aeurologia.com/articulo_prod.php?id_art=54221167777 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -