Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Validity of self-reported weight and height among Saudi school children and adolescents.
Saudi Med J. 2002 Jul; 23(7):831-7.SM

Abstract

OBJECTIVE

To explore the relationship between self-reported weight and height to actual weight and height in a cross-sectional representative sample of school students in Jeddah City, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its relation to selected socio-economic and socio-demographic factors. Also to evaluate the validity of self-reported weight and height measurements.

METHODS

Data was collected from a sample of Saudi school students in Jeddah City, KSA from 42 boys' schools and 42 girls' schools during the month of April 2000. Data collection was carried out by an in-person interview to collect sociodemographic and self-reported weight and height, as well as, actual measurement of weight and height. Body mass index was classified according to age and genders into underweight (<15th percentile), normal weight (>=15th percentile to <85th percentile), overweight (>=85th percentile to <95th percentile) and obesity (>=95th percentile). Validity of self-reported obesity, as compared to measured body mass index, was assessed.

RESULTS

A total of 2,860 Saudi school students were enrolled in the study with an age range from 9 to 21 years (mean=13.9, standard deviation=2.8). Overweight was reported in 13.4% and obesity in 13.5% of school students. Overweight and obesity were more marked among those of at least 13 years of age, male of high social class and students with highly educated mothers. Slightly above half of the school children were unaware of their weight and height giving an unknown body mass index in approximately 60% of cases. Among the remaining 40% who reported their weight and height, underestimation of weight was around 2.7 kg and was mainly among girls, in 16-21 year old group, high socio-economic class and born from educated mothers. Overestimation of height by 4 cm was reported mainly among the overweight, obese, girls, those with at least 16 years of age. Sensitivity of determining obesity by reported weight and height was low especially among girls and those of at least 16-years of age while specificity was more among boys than girls and improved by increase in age.

CONCLUSION

Our results display the inaccuracy of self-reported weight and height in tracking obesity in our youth population. These results also emphasize the need for community and school based programs for preventing and reducing obesity in school age through improving the nutritional status awareness, diet habits and life style in order to ensure health and longevity.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Community Medicine and Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences, King Abdul-Aziz University, PO Box 80205, Jeddah 21589, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. abalkhail60@hotmail.comNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

12174236

Citation

Abalkhail, Bahaa A., et al. "Validity of Self-reported Weight and Height Among Saudi School Children and Adolescents." Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 23, no. 7, 2002, pp. 831-7.
Abalkhail BA, Shawky S, Soliman NK. Validity of self-reported weight and height among Saudi school children and adolescents. Saudi Med J. 2002;23(7):831-7.
Abalkhail, B. A., Shawky, S., & Soliman, N. K. (2002). Validity of self-reported weight and height among Saudi school children and adolescents. Saudi Medical Journal, 23(7), 831-7.
Abalkhail BA, Shawky S, Soliman NK. Validity of Self-reported Weight and Height Among Saudi School Children and Adolescents. Saudi Med J. 2002;23(7):831-7. PubMed PMID: 12174236.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Validity of self-reported weight and height among Saudi school children and adolescents. AU - Abalkhail,Bahaa A, AU - Shawky,Sherine, AU - Soliman,Nadia K, PY - 2002/8/14/pubmed PY - 2002/10/10/medline PY - 2002/8/14/entrez SP - 831 EP - 7 JF - Saudi medical journal JO - Saudi Med J VL - 23 IS - 7 N2 - OBJECTIVE: To explore the relationship between self-reported weight and height to actual weight and height in a cross-sectional representative sample of school students in Jeddah City, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its relation to selected socio-economic and socio-demographic factors. Also to evaluate the validity of self-reported weight and height measurements. METHODS: Data was collected from a sample of Saudi school students in Jeddah City, KSA from 42 boys' schools and 42 girls' schools during the month of April 2000. Data collection was carried out by an in-person interview to collect sociodemographic and self-reported weight and height, as well as, actual measurement of weight and height. Body mass index was classified according to age and genders into underweight (<15th percentile), normal weight (>=15th percentile to <85th percentile), overweight (>=85th percentile to <95th percentile) and obesity (>=95th percentile). Validity of self-reported obesity, as compared to measured body mass index, was assessed. RESULTS: A total of 2,860 Saudi school students were enrolled in the study with an age range from 9 to 21 years (mean=13.9, standard deviation=2.8). Overweight was reported in 13.4% and obesity in 13.5% of school students. Overweight and obesity were more marked among those of at least 13 years of age, male of high social class and students with highly educated mothers. Slightly above half of the school children were unaware of their weight and height giving an unknown body mass index in approximately 60% of cases. Among the remaining 40% who reported their weight and height, underestimation of weight was around 2.7 kg and was mainly among girls, in 16-21 year old group, high socio-economic class and born from educated mothers. Overestimation of height by 4 cm was reported mainly among the overweight, obese, girls, those with at least 16 years of age. Sensitivity of determining obesity by reported weight and height was low especially among girls and those of at least 16-years of age while specificity was more among boys than girls and improved by increase in age. CONCLUSION: Our results display the inaccuracy of self-reported weight and height in tracking obesity in our youth population. These results also emphasize the need for community and school based programs for preventing and reducing obesity in school age through improving the nutritional status awareness, diet habits and life style in order to ensure health and longevity. SN - 0379-5284 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/12174236/Validity_of_self_reported_weight_and_height_among_Saudi_school_children_and_adolescents_ L2 - https://medlineplus.gov/bodyweight.html DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -