Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Concentrations and profiles of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in soils from Korea.
Environ Sci Technol. 2002 Sep 01; 36(17):3700-5.ES

Abstract

Soil samples were collected from Changwon and Masan Cities, Korea, and analyzed for polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans (PCDDs/DFs). Nearly all tetra- through octachlorinated PCDDs/DFs including the 17 2,3,7,8-substituted PCDDs/DFs were detected in all samples. Total concentrations of PCDDs/DFs and of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxin (TeCDD) equivalents (TEGs) in soils ranged from 35 to 121,400 pg/g, dry weight, and from 0.2 to 3720 pg of I-TEQ/g, respectively. On the basis of guidelines for TEQ concentrations established in Germany and the United States, 9 of 23 soil samples (39% of the total samples analyzed) could not be expected to pose human health hazards. The rest of 61% of soils need measures such as investigations of source identification, soil decontamination, and/or soil removal. Total concentrations of PCDDs/DFs were greater at or near four industrial sites, which are concerned with the steel industry, petrochemical-related industry, and industrial waste incineration, than other areas. This indicates the presence of potential source areas. Soil collected from a site 50 m from an open-burning industrial waste incinerator in an industrial complex was heavily contaminated, containing a total concentration of PCDDs/DFs of 121,400 pg/g, dry weight. PCDDs/DFs were also detected in soils from the top of a 200 m mountain indicating a wide dispersal of PCDDs/DFs by atmospheric transport from point source areas. The congener pattern and relative proportions of PCDFs in soils suggest that commercial PCB preparations such as Kanechlors may be one of the sources. The wide range of PCDD/DF isomers detected in soils from many locations also suggests a multitude of sources, in addition to commercial PCBs, such as incineration of industrial wastes such as car tires, scrap wires, plastics, papers, and emission of automobile exhaust.

Authors+Show Affiliations

National Food Safety and Toxicology Center, Department of Zoology, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA. dreamim@dreamwiz.comNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

12322740

Citation

Im, Sook Hyeon, et al. "Concentrations and Profiles of Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-dioxins and Dibenzofurans in Soils From Korea." Environmental Science & Technology, vol. 36, no. 17, 2002, pp. 3700-5.
Im SH, Kannan K, Giesy JP, et al. Concentrations and profiles of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in soils from Korea. Environ Sci Technol. 2002;36(17):3700-5.
Im, S. H., Kannan, K., Giesy, J. P., Matsuda, M., & Wakimoto, T. (2002). Concentrations and profiles of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in soils from Korea. Environmental Science & Technology, 36(17), 3700-5.
Im SH, et al. Concentrations and Profiles of Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-dioxins and Dibenzofurans in Soils From Korea. Environ Sci Technol. 2002 Sep 1;36(17):3700-5. PubMed PMID: 12322740.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Concentrations and profiles of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans in soils from Korea. AU - Im,Sook Hyeon, AU - Kannan,Kurunthachalam, AU - Giesy,John P, AU - Matsuda,Muneaki, AU - Wakimoto,Tadaaki, PY - 2002/9/27/pubmed PY - 2003/2/27/medline PY - 2002/9/27/entrez SP - 3700 EP - 5 JF - Environmental science & technology JO - Environ Sci Technol VL - 36 IS - 17 N2 - Soil samples were collected from Changwon and Masan Cities, Korea, and analyzed for polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans (PCDDs/DFs). Nearly all tetra- through octachlorinated PCDDs/DFs including the 17 2,3,7,8-substituted PCDDs/DFs were detected in all samples. Total concentrations of PCDDs/DFs and of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxin (TeCDD) equivalents (TEGs) in soils ranged from 35 to 121,400 pg/g, dry weight, and from 0.2 to 3720 pg of I-TEQ/g, respectively. On the basis of guidelines for TEQ concentrations established in Germany and the United States, 9 of 23 soil samples (39% of the total samples analyzed) could not be expected to pose human health hazards. The rest of 61% of soils need measures such as investigations of source identification, soil decontamination, and/or soil removal. Total concentrations of PCDDs/DFs were greater at or near four industrial sites, which are concerned with the steel industry, petrochemical-related industry, and industrial waste incineration, than other areas. This indicates the presence of potential source areas. Soil collected from a site 50 m from an open-burning industrial waste incinerator in an industrial complex was heavily contaminated, containing a total concentration of PCDDs/DFs of 121,400 pg/g, dry weight. PCDDs/DFs were also detected in soils from the top of a 200 m mountain indicating a wide dispersal of PCDDs/DFs by atmospheric transport from point source areas. The congener pattern and relative proportions of PCDFs in soils suggest that commercial PCB preparations such as Kanechlors may be one of the sources. The wide range of PCDD/DF isomers detected in soils from many locations also suggests a multitude of sources, in addition to commercial PCBs, such as incineration of industrial wastes such as car tires, scrap wires, plastics, papers, and emission of automobile exhaust. SN - 0013-936X UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/12322740/Concentrations_and_profiles_of_polychlorinated_dibenzo_p_dioxins_and_dibenzofurans_in_soils_from_Korea_ L2 - https://doi.org/10.1021/es020531i DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -