Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

CT findings of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction.
Eur Radiol. 2003 Feb; 13(2):299-304.ER

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to evaluate CT findings of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction. We evaluated abdominal CT of 19 patients with phytobezoar. Abdominal CT of 6 patients with small bowel feces was included for the comparison. On CT we analyzed morphological features of phytobezoars such as location, number, size, shape, and the presence or absence of an encapsulating wall. The sites of the phytobezoar were in the jejunum in 12 patients (63%) and the ileum in 7 (37%). The phytobezoars were single in number in 13 patients (68%) and multiple in 6 (32%). The mean short- and long-axis diameters of the phytobezoars measured 3.2 cm (range 2.1-5.2 cm) and 5.2 cm (range 2.2-11.0 cm), respectively. The phytobezoars were ovoid in 9 patients, round in 6, and tubular in 4. On CT, phytobezoars appeared as gas-containing masses in 17 patients (89%) and as a solid mass without gas in the remaining 2 patients (11%). An encapsulating wall was noted in 6 patients (32%). Small bowel feces were much more tubular in shape but did not have encapsulating wall on CT. The CT imaging is useful in making the diagnosis of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388-1 Poongnap-Dong, Songpa-Gu, Seoul 138-736, Korea.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

12598994

Citation

Kim, Ji-Hoon, et al. "CT Findings of Phytobezoar Associated With Small Bowel Obstruction." European Radiology, vol. 13, no. 2, 2003, pp. 299-304.
Kim JH, Ha HK, Sohn MJ, et al. CT findings of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction. Eur Radiol. 2003;13(2):299-304.
Kim, J. H., Ha, H. K., Sohn, M. J., Kim, A. Y., Kim, T. K., Kim, P. N., Lee, M. G., Myung, S. J., Yang, S. K., Jung, H. Y., & Kim, J. H. (2003). CT findings of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction. European Radiology, 13(2), 299-304.
Kim JH, et al. CT Findings of Phytobezoar Associated With Small Bowel Obstruction. Eur Radiol. 2003;13(2):299-304. PubMed PMID: 12598994.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - CT findings of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction. AU - Kim,Ji-Hoon, AU - Ha,Hyun Kwon, AU - Sohn,Min Jee, AU - Kim,Ah Young, AU - Kim,Tae Kyung, AU - Kim,Pyo Nyun, AU - Lee,Moon-Gyu, AU - Myung,Seung-Jae, AU - Yang,Suk-Kyun, AU - Jung,Hwoon-Yong, AU - Kim,Jin Ho, Y1 - 2002/06/08/ PY - 2001/09/20/received PY - 2002/02/14/revised PY - 2002/02/25/accepted PY - 2003/2/25/pubmed PY - 2003/7/29/medline PY - 2003/2/25/entrez SP - 299 EP - 304 JF - European radiology JO - Eur Radiol VL - 13 IS - 2 N2 - The purpose of this study was to evaluate CT findings of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction. We evaluated abdominal CT of 19 patients with phytobezoar. Abdominal CT of 6 patients with small bowel feces was included for the comparison. On CT we analyzed morphological features of phytobezoars such as location, number, size, shape, and the presence or absence of an encapsulating wall. The sites of the phytobezoar were in the jejunum in 12 patients (63%) and the ileum in 7 (37%). The phytobezoars were single in number in 13 patients (68%) and multiple in 6 (32%). The mean short- and long-axis diameters of the phytobezoars measured 3.2 cm (range 2.1-5.2 cm) and 5.2 cm (range 2.2-11.0 cm), respectively. The phytobezoars were ovoid in 9 patients, round in 6, and tubular in 4. On CT, phytobezoars appeared as gas-containing masses in 17 patients (89%) and as a solid mass without gas in the remaining 2 patients (11%). An encapsulating wall was noted in 6 patients (32%). Small bowel feces were much more tubular in shape but did not have encapsulating wall on CT. The CT imaging is useful in making the diagnosis of phytobezoar associated with small bowel obstruction. SN - 0938-7994 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/12598994/CT_findings_of_phytobezoar_associated_with_small_bowel_obstruction_ L2 - https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00330-002-1432-0 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -