Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

The double contrast enema in ulcerative and Crohn's colitis.
Clin Radiol. 1976 Jan; 27(1):103-12.CR

Abstract

One hundred double contrast enema examinations using a colonic activator (veripaque in the preliminary cleansing enema and 51 conventional barium enema examinations without a preliminary veripaque enema have been performed on 94 patients with either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease of the colon. The severity of the disease at barium enema examinations has been graded and compared with the severity of the disease found at sigmoidoscopy. In the double contrast examination, there was agreement between the radiological and sigmoidoscopic findings in 77% of cases and a disagreement of one grade in the remaining 23% of cases. The double contrast enema demonstrated lesions in the colon proximal to the range of the sigmoidoscope of a greater severity than that seen at sigmoidoscopy in 30% of cases. It was not found possible to use the same grading method with the conventional enema, and unless frank ulceration is present, it is considered that the conventional enema is unreliable in assessing the state of the colonic mucosa. It is concluded that the double contrast enema, using a colonic activator in the preliminary cleansing enema, causes no greater risk of complications than either the conventional enema or sigmoidoscopy.

Authors

No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Comparative Study
Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

1261191

Citation

Fraser, G M., and J M. Findlay. "The Double Contrast Enema in Ulcerative and Crohn's Colitis." Clinical Radiology, vol. 27, no. 1, 1976, pp. 103-12.
Fraser GM, Findlay JM. The double contrast enema in ulcerative and Crohn's colitis. Clin Radiol. 1976;27(1):103-12.
Fraser, G. M., & Findlay, J. M. (1976). The double contrast enema in ulcerative and Crohn's colitis. Clinical Radiology, 27(1), 103-12.
Fraser GM, Findlay JM. The Double Contrast Enema in Ulcerative and Crohn's Colitis. Clin Radiol. 1976;27(1):103-12. PubMed PMID: 1261191.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - The double contrast enema in ulcerative and Crohn's colitis. AU - Fraser,G M, AU - Findlay,J M, PY - 1976/1/1/pubmed PY - 1976/1/1/medline PY - 1976/1/1/entrez SP - 103 EP - 12 JF - Clinical radiology JO - Clin Radiol VL - 27 IS - 1 N2 - One hundred double contrast enema examinations using a colonic activator (veripaque in the preliminary cleansing enema and 51 conventional barium enema examinations without a preliminary veripaque enema have been performed on 94 patients with either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease of the colon. The severity of the disease at barium enema examinations has been graded and compared with the severity of the disease found at sigmoidoscopy. In the double contrast examination, there was agreement between the radiological and sigmoidoscopic findings in 77% of cases and a disagreement of one grade in the remaining 23% of cases. The double contrast enema demonstrated lesions in the colon proximal to the range of the sigmoidoscope of a greater severity than that seen at sigmoidoscopy in 30% of cases. It was not found possible to use the same grading method with the conventional enema, and unless frank ulceration is present, it is considered that the conventional enema is unreliable in assessing the state of the colonic mucosa. It is concluded that the double contrast enema, using a colonic activator in the preliminary cleansing enema, causes no greater risk of complications than either the conventional enema or sigmoidoscopy. SN - 0009-9260 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/1261191/The_double_contrast_enema_in_ulcerative_and_Crohn's_colitis_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0009-9260(76)80030-X DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -