Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Patient satisfaction and clinical efficacy of the new perineal bone-anchored male sling.
Eur Urol. 2005 Feb; 47(2):237-42; discussion 242.EU

Abstract

OBJECTIVE

We retrospectively evaluated the safety, efficacy and patient satisfaction following the male sling procedure for stress urinary incontinence.

MATERIALS AND METHODS

Forty-six patients, with a median age of 67 years, underwent the perineal male sling procedure for stress urinary incontinence. Radical retropubic prostatectomy was the commonest etiology of SUI. The male sling was placed over the bulbar urethra, through a perineal incision and anchored with the help of bone screws inserted in the pubic rami. Efficacy and treatment satisfaction were evaluated with the help of the validated UCLA/RAND questionnaire and questions addressing treatment satisfaction. Patients were defined as "cured" if they were dry or "improved" if utilizing 1-2 pads per day (based on response to question 1 of the UCLA/RAND questionnaire. Responses to questions 4 and 5 of the UCLA/RAND were utilized to determine the impact of the procedure on urinary leakage and urinary function postoperatively. Complications if any were noted.

RESULTS

One patient developed infection and two developed short-lasting perineal/buttock pain. Significantly, no patient developed urethral erosion. At a mean follow-up of 24 months, 34 patients were either dry (17/46, 37%) or utilizing only 1-2 pads per day (17/46, 37%), giving a cure/improvement rate of 74%. On evaluating the response to questions 4 and 5 of the UCLA/RAND questionnaire, 72% patients stated that urinary leakage and function were a "small to no problem". Moreover, 59% patients were moderately or completely satisfied with the procedure and 11% stated they were halfway satisfied with the procedure giving an overall satisfaction of 70%. A similar percentage felt that the treatment halfway or completely met their expectations.

CONCLUSIONS

At a mean follow-up of 24 months, the male sling procedure appears to be effective in the management of male SUI with a success rate of 74%. Moreover, it is safe as evidenced by the absence of any major complications such as urethral erosion. Finally, it is associated with a 70% patient satisfaction.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Urology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 4160 John R., Suite 1017, Detroit, MI 48201, USA.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

15661420

Citation

Rajpurkar, Atul D., et al. "Patient Satisfaction and Clinical Efficacy of the New Perineal Bone-anchored Male Sling." European Urology, vol. 47, no. 2, 2005, pp. 237-42; discussion 242.
Rajpurkar AD, Onur R, Singla A. Patient satisfaction and clinical efficacy of the new perineal bone-anchored male sling. Eur Urol. 2005;47(2):237-42; discussion 242.
Rajpurkar, A. D., Onur, R., & Singla, A. (2005). Patient satisfaction and clinical efficacy of the new perineal bone-anchored male sling. European Urology, 47(2), 237-42; discussion 242.
Rajpurkar AD, Onur R, Singla A. Patient Satisfaction and Clinical Efficacy of the New Perineal Bone-anchored Male Sling. Eur Urol. 2005;47(2):237-42; discussion 242. PubMed PMID: 15661420.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Patient satisfaction and clinical efficacy of the new perineal bone-anchored male sling. AU - Rajpurkar,Atul D, AU - Onur,Rahmi, AU - Singla,Ajay, PY - 2004/06/15/accepted PY - 2005/1/22/pubmed PY - 2005/7/16/medline PY - 2005/1/22/entrez SP - 237-42; discussion 242 JF - European urology JO - Eur Urol VL - 47 IS - 2 N2 - OBJECTIVE: We retrospectively evaluated the safety, efficacy and patient satisfaction following the male sling procedure for stress urinary incontinence. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Forty-six patients, with a median age of 67 years, underwent the perineal male sling procedure for stress urinary incontinence. Radical retropubic prostatectomy was the commonest etiology of SUI. The male sling was placed over the bulbar urethra, through a perineal incision and anchored with the help of bone screws inserted in the pubic rami. Efficacy and treatment satisfaction were evaluated with the help of the validated UCLA/RAND questionnaire and questions addressing treatment satisfaction. Patients were defined as "cured" if they were dry or "improved" if utilizing 1-2 pads per day (based on response to question 1 of the UCLA/RAND questionnaire. Responses to questions 4 and 5 of the UCLA/RAND were utilized to determine the impact of the procedure on urinary leakage and urinary function postoperatively. Complications if any were noted. RESULTS: One patient developed infection and two developed short-lasting perineal/buttock pain. Significantly, no patient developed urethral erosion. At a mean follow-up of 24 months, 34 patients were either dry (17/46, 37%) or utilizing only 1-2 pads per day (17/46, 37%), giving a cure/improvement rate of 74%. On evaluating the response to questions 4 and 5 of the UCLA/RAND questionnaire, 72% patients stated that urinary leakage and function were a "small to no problem". Moreover, 59% patients were moderately or completely satisfied with the procedure and 11% stated they were halfway satisfied with the procedure giving an overall satisfaction of 70%. A similar percentage felt that the treatment halfway or completely met their expectations. CONCLUSIONS: At a mean follow-up of 24 months, the male sling procedure appears to be effective in the management of male SUI with a success rate of 74%. Moreover, it is safe as evidenced by the absence of any major complications such as urethral erosion. Finally, it is associated with a 70% patient satisfaction. SN - 0302-2838 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/15661420/Patient_satisfaction_and_clinical_efficacy_of_the_new_perineal_bone_anchored_male_sling_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0302-2838(04)00350-1 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -