Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Food-induced anaphylaxis caused by ingestion of royal jelly.

Abstract

We report a case of food-induced anaphylaxis caused by ingestion of royal jelly. After taking royal jelly and several other medicinal products, a 33-year-old Japanese male developed severe facial pruritus and erythema, followed by vertigo, numbness in his fingers, generalized pruritus, wheals, dyspnea, wheezing and impaired consciousness. He was treated with corticosteroid and fluid therapy, and his symptoms subsided. Upon allergy testing, his only positive reaction was to royal jelly. Given the clinical symptoms and the positive prick test to royal jelly, a diagnosis of anaphylaxis due to the ingestion of royal jelly was made. In this paper, we describe this case and review the relevant published work.

Links

  • Publisher Full Text
  • Authors+Show Affiliations

    ,

    Division of Dermatology, Machida Municipal Hospital, Tokyo, Japan. byoin010@city.machida.tokyo.jp

    Source

    The Journal of dermatology 33:6 2006 Jun pg 424-6

    MeSH

    Adult
    Anaphylaxis
    Fatty Acids
    Food Hypersensitivity
    Humans
    Male

    Pub Type(s)

    Case Reports
    Journal Article

    Language

    eng

    PubMed ID

    16700835

    Citation

    Takahama, Hideto, and Takekazu Shimazu. "Food-induced Anaphylaxis Caused By Ingestion of Royal Jelly." The Journal of Dermatology, vol. 33, no. 6, 2006, pp. 424-6.
    Takahama H, Shimazu T. Food-induced anaphylaxis caused by ingestion of royal jelly. J Dermatol. 2006;33(6):424-6.
    Takahama, H., & Shimazu, T. (2006). Food-induced anaphylaxis caused by ingestion of royal jelly. The Journal of Dermatology, 33(6), pp. 424-6.
    Takahama H, Shimazu T. Food-induced Anaphylaxis Caused By Ingestion of Royal Jelly. J Dermatol. 2006;33(6):424-6. PubMed PMID: 16700835.
    * Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
    TY - JOUR T1 - Food-induced anaphylaxis caused by ingestion of royal jelly. AU - Takahama,Hideto, AU - Shimazu,Takekazu, PY - 2006/5/17/pubmed PY - 2006/8/2/medline PY - 2006/5/17/entrez SP - 424 EP - 6 JF - The Journal of dermatology JO - J. Dermatol. VL - 33 IS - 6 N2 - We report a case of food-induced anaphylaxis caused by ingestion of royal jelly. After taking royal jelly and several other medicinal products, a 33-year-old Japanese male developed severe facial pruritus and erythema, followed by vertigo, numbness in his fingers, generalized pruritus, wheals, dyspnea, wheezing and impaired consciousness. He was treated with corticosteroid and fluid therapy, and his symptoms subsided. Upon allergy testing, his only positive reaction was to royal jelly. Given the clinical symptoms and the positive prick test to royal jelly, a diagnosis of anaphylaxis due to the ingestion of royal jelly was made. In this paper, we describe this case and review the relevant published work. SN - 0385-2407 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/16700835/full_citation L2 - https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2006.00100.x DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -