Platelet-activating factor (PAF) is the effector of IFN gamma-stimulated invasiveness and motility in a B16 melanoma line.Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2006 Dec; 81(3-4):171-7.PO
In this study, we investigated whether PAF synthesized by F10-M3 cells (a clone of B16-F10 melanoma line) mediates the increased capacity of these cells to penetrate into Matrigel upon stimulation with IFN gamma. The determination of PAF synthesized by IFN gamma-stimulated tumor cells revealed that 70% of newly synthesized PAF was released into growth media, while the remaining 30% was associated with the cell bodies. An experimental protocol based on the use of WEB 2086, a PAF receptorial antagonist, was designed to explore which of the two fractions of PAF synthesized by IFN gamma-stimulated F10-M3 cells (released into the growth medium or associated with the cell bodies) is essential to their capacity to migrate through Matrigel. We found that the PAF secreted into growth medium is the fraction responsible for the enhanced invasiveness of melanoma cells stimulated with IFN gamma. We also investigated whether motility of melanoma cells is stimulated by IFN gamma, and, if so, whether PAF is involved in this effect. We found that WEB 2086 prevented the remodeling of stress fibers, examined as an index of cell motility, that we observed in F10-M3 cells stimulated with IFN gamma. Furthermore, the observation that PAF receptor is expressed in IFN gamma-stimulated melanoma cells suggests that the invasive phenotype (e.g. migration through a reconstituted basement membrane and motility) promoted by PAF is based on an autocrine mechanism. On the whole, these results might indicate that PAF contributes to the expression of properties typical of an invasive phenotype in tumor cells stimulated with cytokines.