Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Quality of life outcomes after ventilating tube insertion for otitis media in an Australian population.
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2007 Oct; 71(10):1543-7.IJ

Abstract

OBJECTIVE

To assess the change in quality of life in a group of Australian children with recurrent acute otitis media (AOM) and/or otitis media with effusion (OME) who were treated with ventilating tube (VT) insertion.

METHODS

Prospective pre- and post-intervention outcome study at the Women's and Children's Hospital, North Adelaide, South Australia. The Otitis Media 6-item (OM-6) survey was used as a measure of disease-specific quality of life prior to surgery and then again at 6 weeks post-operatively. Any patients who were listed for any additional ear, nose or throat (ENT) procedures at the same time were excluded.

RESULTS

Complete responses for both pre- and post-surgery questionnaires were obtained from the parents of 53 patients. The age range was 11 months to 15.4 years (average 5.1 years), and 39.6% (n=21) were suffering from recurrent AOM whilst the remaining 60.4% (n=32) were suffering from OME. Overall ear-related quality of life was found to improve significantly following insertion of ventilating tubes (p<0.001), as was the mean OM-6 score (p<0.001). Furthermore, statistically significant improvements were noted in each individual domain making up the OM-6 survey (physical suffering, hearing loss, speech impairment, emotional distress, activity limitations and caregiver concerns).

CONCLUSIONS

The disease-specific quality of life of a group of Australian pediatric patients with otitis media was found to significantly improve following insertion of ventilating tubes as measured by the OM-6 survey. Improvements were found in global ear-related quality of life, in the mean OM-6 score, as well as in all individual domains of the OM-6 survey.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Paediatric Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Women's and Children's Hospital, North Adelaide, SA, Australia.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

17645949

Citation

Chow, Yan, et al. "Quality of Life Outcomes After Ventilating Tube Insertion for Otitis Media in an Australian Population." International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 71, no. 10, 2007, pp. 1543-7.
Chow Y, Wabnitz DA, Ling J. Quality of life outcomes after ventilating tube insertion for otitis media in an Australian population. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;71(10):1543-7.
Chow, Y., Wabnitz, D. A., & Ling, J. (2007). Quality of life outcomes after ventilating tube insertion for otitis media in an Australian population. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 71(10), 1543-7.
Chow Y, Wabnitz DA, Ling J. Quality of Life Outcomes After Ventilating Tube Insertion for Otitis Media in an Australian Population. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2007;71(10):1543-7. PubMed PMID: 17645949.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Quality of life outcomes after ventilating tube insertion for otitis media in an Australian population. AU - Chow,Yan, AU - Wabnitz,David A M, AU - Ling,John, Y1 - 2007/07/23/ PY - 2006/12/10/received PY - 2007/05/29/revised PY - 2007/06/02/accepted PY - 2007/7/25/pubmed PY - 2008/2/20/medline PY - 2007/7/25/entrez SP - 1543 EP - 7 JF - International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology JO - Int. J. Pediatr. Otorhinolaryngol. VL - 71 IS - 10 N2 - OBJECTIVE: To assess the change in quality of life in a group of Australian children with recurrent acute otitis media (AOM) and/or otitis media with effusion (OME) who were treated with ventilating tube (VT) insertion. METHODS: Prospective pre- and post-intervention outcome study at the Women's and Children's Hospital, North Adelaide, South Australia. The Otitis Media 6-item (OM-6) survey was used as a measure of disease-specific quality of life prior to surgery and then again at 6 weeks post-operatively. Any patients who were listed for any additional ear, nose or throat (ENT) procedures at the same time were excluded. RESULTS: Complete responses for both pre- and post-surgery questionnaires were obtained from the parents of 53 patients. The age range was 11 months to 15.4 years (average 5.1 years), and 39.6% (n=21) were suffering from recurrent AOM whilst the remaining 60.4% (n=32) were suffering from OME. Overall ear-related quality of life was found to improve significantly following insertion of ventilating tubes (p<0.001), as was the mean OM-6 score (p<0.001). Furthermore, statistically significant improvements were noted in each individual domain making up the OM-6 survey (physical suffering, hearing loss, speech impairment, emotional distress, activity limitations and caregiver concerns). CONCLUSIONS: The disease-specific quality of life of a group of Australian pediatric patients with otitis media was found to significantly improve following insertion of ventilating tubes as measured by the OM-6 survey. Improvements were found in global ear-related quality of life, in the mean OM-6 score, as well as in all individual domains of the OM-6 survey. SN - 0165-5876 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/17645949/Quality_of_life_outcomes_after_ventilating_tube_insertion_for_otitis_media_in_an_Australian_population_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0165-5876(07)00253-4 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -