Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Differential contribution of GABAergic and glycinergic components to inhibitory synaptic transmission in lamina II and laminae III-IV of the young rat spinal cord.
Eur J Neurosci. 2007 Nov; 26(10):2940-9.EJ

Abstract

Using whole-cell patch-clamp recordings from spinal cord slices of young (10-15 days old) rats, we have characterized and compared the properties of inhibitory synaptic transmission in lamina II and laminae III-IV of the dorsal horn, which are involved in the processing of nociceptive and non-nociceptive sensory information, respectively. All (100%) of laminae III-IV neurons, but only 55% of lamina II neurons, received both gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic and glycinergic inputs. The remaining 45% of lamina II neurons received only GABAergic synapses. Neurons receiving only glycinergic synapses were never observed. Among the 55% of lamina II neurons receiving both GABAergic and glycinergic inputs, all displayed a small proportion (approximately 10%) of mixed miniature inhibitory postsynaptic currents (mIPSCs), indicating the presence of a functional GABA/glycine co-transmission at a subset of synapses. Such a co-transmission was never observed in laminae III-IV neurons. The presence of mixed mIPSCs and the differences in decay kinetics of GABAA-type receptor mIPSCs between lamina II and laminae III-IV were due to the endogenous tonic production of 3alpha5alpha-reduced steroids (3alpha5alpha-RS) in lamina II. Stimulation of the local production of 3alpha5alpha-RS was possible in laminae III-IV after incubation of slices with progesterone, subcutaneous injection of progesterone or induction of a peripheral inflammation. This led to the prolongation of GABAergic mIPSCs, but failed to induce the appearance of mixed mIPSCs in laminae III-IV. Our results indicate that, compared with lamina II, inhibitory synaptic transmission in laminae III-IV is characterized by a dominant role of glycinergic inhibition and the absence of a functional GABA/glycine co-transmission.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Université Louis Pasteur, Institut des Neurosciences Cellulaires et Intégratives (INCI), Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), UMR7168, F-67084 Strasbourg, France.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Language

eng

PubMed ID

18001289

Citation

Inquimbert, Perrine, et al. "Differential Contribution of GABAergic and Glycinergic Components to Inhibitory Synaptic Transmission in Lamina II and Laminae III-IV of the Young Rat Spinal Cord." The European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 26, no. 10, 2007, pp. 2940-9.
Inquimbert P, Rodeau JL, Schlichter R. Differential contribution of GABAergic and glycinergic components to inhibitory synaptic transmission in lamina II and laminae III-IV of the young rat spinal cord. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26(10):2940-9.
Inquimbert, P., Rodeau, J. L., & Schlichter, R. (2007). Differential contribution of GABAergic and glycinergic components to inhibitory synaptic transmission in lamina II and laminae III-IV of the young rat spinal cord. The European Journal of Neuroscience, 26(10), 2940-9.
Inquimbert P, Rodeau JL, Schlichter R. Differential Contribution of GABAergic and Glycinergic Components to Inhibitory Synaptic Transmission in Lamina II and Laminae III-IV of the Young Rat Spinal Cord. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26(10):2940-9. PubMed PMID: 18001289.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Differential contribution of GABAergic and glycinergic components to inhibitory synaptic transmission in lamina II and laminae III-IV of the young rat spinal cord. AU - Inquimbert,Perrine, AU - Rodeau,Jean-Luc, AU - Schlichter,Rémy, PY - 2007/11/16/pubmed PY - 2008/2/26/medline PY - 2007/11/16/entrez SP - 2940 EP - 9 JF - The European journal of neuroscience JO - Eur J Neurosci VL - 26 IS - 10 N2 - Using whole-cell patch-clamp recordings from spinal cord slices of young (10-15 days old) rats, we have characterized and compared the properties of inhibitory synaptic transmission in lamina II and laminae III-IV of the dorsal horn, which are involved in the processing of nociceptive and non-nociceptive sensory information, respectively. All (100%) of laminae III-IV neurons, but only 55% of lamina II neurons, received both gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic and glycinergic inputs. The remaining 45% of lamina II neurons received only GABAergic synapses. Neurons receiving only glycinergic synapses were never observed. Among the 55% of lamina II neurons receiving both GABAergic and glycinergic inputs, all displayed a small proportion (approximately 10%) of mixed miniature inhibitory postsynaptic currents (mIPSCs), indicating the presence of a functional GABA/glycine co-transmission at a subset of synapses. Such a co-transmission was never observed in laminae III-IV neurons. The presence of mixed mIPSCs and the differences in decay kinetics of GABAA-type receptor mIPSCs between lamina II and laminae III-IV were due to the endogenous tonic production of 3alpha5alpha-reduced steroids (3alpha5alpha-RS) in lamina II. Stimulation of the local production of 3alpha5alpha-RS was possible in laminae III-IV after incubation of slices with progesterone, subcutaneous injection of progesterone or induction of a peripheral inflammation. This led to the prolongation of GABAergic mIPSCs, but failed to induce the appearance of mixed mIPSCs in laminae III-IV. Our results indicate that, compared with lamina II, inhibitory synaptic transmission in laminae III-IV is characterized by a dominant role of glycinergic inhibition and the absence of a functional GABA/glycine co-transmission. SN - 0953-816X UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/18001289/Differential_contribution_of_GABAergic_and_glycinergic_components_to_inhibitory_synaptic_transmission_in_lamina_II_and_laminae_III_IV_of_the_young_rat_spinal_cord_ L2 - https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-9568.2007.05919.x DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -