Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Molar-incisor-hypomineralisation (MIH). A retrospective clinical study in Greek children. II. Possible medical aetiological factors.
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2008 Dec; 9(4):207-17.EA

Abstract

AIM

This was to examine the potential medical aetiological factors involved in the development of MIH.

METHODS

During the years 2003--2005, all MIH cases diagnosed according to set criteria were selected from the new patients clinic of a Community Dental Centre for Children (Athens). The age, gender and teeth involved were recorded. A control group of socio-demographically matched controls was also identified. The potential aetiological factors were retrieved through personal interview with the parents and from each child and mother's medical book. Only verified aetiological factors were recorded. Evaluation of the correlation of affected teeth and the timing of the insult was performed in a separate group of 225 affected children aged 8-12 with their entire 12 'index' teeth erupted.

RESULTS

From the 3,518, 5.5 to 12 years old children examined, 360 (10.2%) had MIH. Aetiology of MIH: 44 children (12.2%), presented without any relevant medical history, the remaining 316 (87.8%) recorded various medical problems associated with MIH, compared with 18.9% for controls. Perinatal (163, 33.6%) and postnatal (162, 33.9%) problems were the most frequently found and prenatal the least (33, 8.6%). For 42 children (11.7%) problems occurred in more than one chronological period, mainly during both the perinatal and postnatal period (11.1%). The most common prenatal problem was repeated episodes of high fever (12/33), in the perinatal period birth by Caesarean section (92/163) and other birth complications (34/163). Various respiratory conditions (88/162), repeated episodes of high fever (31/162) and neonatal illness (28/162) were the commonly reported problems in the postnatal period. Many MIH cases presented with more than one medical problem during the peri-and postnatal period.

STATISTICAL ANALYSIS

Children with MIH recorded 68.9% more frequent medical problems than controls (p<0.0001). A positive correlation (p<0.001) between the total number and type of affected teeth with the timing of the insult was observed in the 225 MIH children with all their 'index' teeth erupted.

CONCLUSION

Children with MIH present with more medical problems than controls during their prenatal, perinatal and postnatal period. The majority of these illnesses may produce hypocalcaemia, hypoxia and pyrexia to the child or the mother. The number of affected teeth was associated with the timing of the possible insult; children with prenatal, perinatal and postnatal problems present more affected teeth in increasing order.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Dept of Paediatric Dentistry, Community Dental Center for Children, Athens, Greece. lygidakis@ath.forthnet.grNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Comparative Study
Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

19054474

Citation

Lygidakis, N A., et al. "Molar-incisor-hypomineralisation (MIH). a Retrospective Clinical Study in Greek Children. II. Possible Medical Aetiological Factors." European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry : Official Journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, vol. 9, no. 4, 2008, pp. 207-17.
Lygidakis NA, Dimou G, Marinou D. Molar-incisor-hypomineralisation (MIH). A retrospective clinical study in Greek children. II. Possible medical aetiological factors. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2008;9(4):207-17.
Lygidakis, N. A., Dimou, G., & Marinou, D. (2008). Molar-incisor-hypomineralisation (MIH). A retrospective clinical study in Greek children. II. Possible medical aetiological factors. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry : Official Journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 9(4), 207-17.
Lygidakis NA, Dimou G, Marinou D. Molar-incisor-hypomineralisation (MIH). a Retrospective Clinical Study in Greek Children. II. Possible Medical Aetiological Factors. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2008;9(4):207-17. PubMed PMID: 19054474.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Molar-incisor-hypomineralisation (MIH). A retrospective clinical study in Greek children. II. Possible medical aetiological factors. AU - Lygidakis,N A, AU - Dimou,G, AU - Marinou,D, PY - 2008/12/5/pubmed PY - 2009/5/8/medline PY - 2008/12/5/entrez SP - 207 EP - 17 JF - European archives of paediatric dentistry : official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry JO - Eur Arch Paediatr Dent VL - 9 IS - 4 N2 - AIM: This was to examine the potential medical aetiological factors involved in the development of MIH. METHODS: During the years 2003--2005, all MIH cases diagnosed according to set criteria were selected from the new patients clinic of a Community Dental Centre for Children (Athens). The age, gender and teeth involved were recorded. A control group of socio-demographically matched controls was also identified. The potential aetiological factors were retrieved through personal interview with the parents and from each child and mother's medical book. Only verified aetiological factors were recorded. Evaluation of the correlation of affected teeth and the timing of the insult was performed in a separate group of 225 affected children aged 8-12 with their entire 12 'index' teeth erupted. RESULTS: From the 3,518, 5.5 to 12 years old children examined, 360 (10.2%) had MIH. Aetiology of MIH: 44 children (12.2%), presented without any relevant medical history, the remaining 316 (87.8%) recorded various medical problems associated with MIH, compared with 18.9% for controls. Perinatal (163, 33.6%) and postnatal (162, 33.9%) problems were the most frequently found and prenatal the least (33, 8.6%). For 42 children (11.7%) problems occurred in more than one chronological period, mainly during both the perinatal and postnatal period (11.1%). The most common prenatal problem was repeated episodes of high fever (12/33), in the perinatal period birth by Caesarean section (92/163) and other birth complications (34/163). Various respiratory conditions (88/162), repeated episodes of high fever (31/162) and neonatal illness (28/162) were the commonly reported problems in the postnatal period. Many MIH cases presented with more than one medical problem during the peri-and postnatal period. STATISTICAL ANALYSIS: Children with MIH recorded 68.9% more frequent medical problems than controls (p<0.0001). A positive correlation (p<0.001) between the total number and type of affected teeth with the timing of the insult was observed in the 225 MIH children with all their 'index' teeth erupted. CONCLUSION: Children with MIH present with more medical problems than controls during their prenatal, perinatal and postnatal period. The majority of these illnesses may produce hypocalcaemia, hypoxia and pyrexia to the child or the mother. The number of affected teeth was associated with the timing of the possible insult; children with prenatal, perinatal and postnatal problems present more affected teeth in increasing order. SN - 1818-6300 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/19054474/Molar_incisor_hypomineralisation__MIH___A_retrospective_clinical_study_in_Greek_children__II__Possible_medical_aetiological_factors_ L2 - https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF03262637 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -