Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Prevalence and risk factors for allergic rhinitis in primary schoolchildren in Budapest.
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010 May; 74(5):503-9.IJ

Abstract

OBJECTIVE

There is growing evidence that the prevalence of allergic diseases is increasing, especially among children. The aim of this study was to evaluate the incidence and risk factors of allergic rhinitis in 6-12-year-old schoolchildren in Budapest.

METHODS

A total of 6335 children aged between 6 and 12 years attending 21 randomly selected primary schools in Budapest were surveyed in September 2007 by using a questionnaire consisting in part of questions compiled by the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood and in part of questions based on our own experience.

RESULTS

3933 of the questionnaires (1976 M/1957 F) were appropriately completed by the parents. The prevalence of current allergic rhinitis was 14.9% (n=530), that of physician-diagnosed allergic rhinitis was 11.6% (n=413), and that of cumulative allergic rhinitis was 26.5% (n=943). Male gender (p<0.001), family history of atopy (p<0.001), eczema (p<0.001), urticaria (p<0.001), itchy-watery eyes (p<0.001), coughing (p<0.001), wheezing (p<0.001), a hearing impairment (p<0.001), itching of the palate (p<0.001), frequent upper airway infection (p<0.001), frequent rhinosinusitis (p<0.001), a history of tonsillectomy (p<0.01), a history of adenoidectomy (p<0.001), antibiotics given in the first year of life (p<0.001), paracetamol given in the first year of life (p<0.001), living in a green area (p<0.001), the consumption of soft drinks containing preservatives or colourants (p<0.04), feather bedding (p<0.01), living in a house made of concrete (p<0.001), living not far from an air-polluting factory or mine (p<0.001), and long-lasting disease before the appearance of the allergy (p<0.001) were all significant factors involving an increased risk of allergic rhinitis symptoms. The frequent consumption of tomatoes, nuts, margarine and butter significantly affected the cumulative allergic rhinitis prevalence.

RESULTS

Overall, the 12-month prevalence of allergic rhinitis in these 6-12-year-old children in Budapest was 14.9%, which is higher than reported from other European countries. Our findings differ from those on other cohorts in that exposure to ragweed and to indoor environmental factors in concrete housing estates in Budapest may be of particular importance as concerns allergic sensitization.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, Heim Pal Hospital for Sick Children, 13 Delej utca, Budapest, H-1089, Hungary. sultmon@gmail.comNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

20211496

Citation

Sultész, Monika, et al. "Prevalence and Risk Factors for Allergic Rhinitis in Primary Schoolchildren in Budapest." International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 74, no. 5, 2010, pp. 503-9.
Sultész M, Katona G, Hirschberg A, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for allergic rhinitis in primary schoolchildren in Budapest. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;74(5):503-9.
Sultész, M., Katona, G., Hirschberg, A., & Gálffy, G. (2010). Prevalence and risk factors for allergic rhinitis in primary schoolchildren in Budapest. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 74(5), 503-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2010.02.008
Sultész M, et al. Prevalence and Risk Factors for Allergic Rhinitis in Primary Schoolchildren in Budapest. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;74(5):503-9. PubMed PMID: 20211496.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Prevalence and risk factors for allergic rhinitis in primary schoolchildren in Budapest. AU - Sultész,Monika, AU - Katona,Gábor, AU - Hirschberg,Andor, AU - Gálffy,Gabriella, Y1 - 2010/03/07/ PY - 2009/10/13/received PY - 2010/02/08/revised PY - 2010/02/10/accepted PY - 2010/3/10/entrez PY - 2010/3/10/pubmed PY - 2010/7/16/medline SP - 503 EP - 9 JF - International journal of pediatric otorhinolaryngology JO - Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol VL - 74 IS - 5 N2 - OBJECTIVE: There is growing evidence that the prevalence of allergic diseases is increasing, especially among children. The aim of this study was to evaluate the incidence and risk factors of allergic rhinitis in 6-12-year-old schoolchildren in Budapest. METHODS: A total of 6335 children aged between 6 and 12 years attending 21 randomly selected primary schools in Budapest were surveyed in September 2007 by using a questionnaire consisting in part of questions compiled by the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood and in part of questions based on our own experience. RESULTS: 3933 of the questionnaires (1976 M/1957 F) were appropriately completed by the parents. The prevalence of current allergic rhinitis was 14.9% (n=530), that of physician-diagnosed allergic rhinitis was 11.6% (n=413), and that of cumulative allergic rhinitis was 26.5% (n=943). Male gender (p<0.001), family history of atopy (p<0.001), eczema (p<0.001), urticaria (p<0.001), itchy-watery eyes (p<0.001), coughing (p<0.001), wheezing (p<0.001), a hearing impairment (p<0.001), itching of the palate (p<0.001), frequent upper airway infection (p<0.001), frequent rhinosinusitis (p<0.001), a history of tonsillectomy (p<0.01), a history of adenoidectomy (p<0.001), antibiotics given in the first year of life (p<0.001), paracetamol given in the first year of life (p<0.001), living in a green area (p<0.001), the consumption of soft drinks containing preservatives or colourants (p<0.04), feather bedding (p<0.01), living in a house made of concrete (p<0.001), living not far from an air-polluting factory or mine (p<0.001), and long-lasting disease before the appearance of the allergy (p<0.001) were all significant factors involving an increased risk of allergic rhinitis symptoms. The frequent consumption of tomatoes, nuts, margarine and butter significantly affected the cumulative allergic rhinitis prevalence. RESULTS: Overall, the 12-month prevalence of allergic rhinitis in these 6-12-year-old children in Budapest was 14.9%, which is higher than reported from other European countries. Our findings differ from those on other cohorts in that exposure to ragweed and to indoor environmental factors in concrete housing estates in Budapest may be of particular importance as concerns allergic sensitization. SN - 1872-8464 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/20211496/Prevalence_and_risk_factors_for_allergic_rhinitis_in_primary_schoolchildren_in_Budapest_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0165-5876(10)00056-X DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -