Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

[Emergency endoscopy in upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage].
Minerva Dietol Gastroenterol. 1990 Oct-Dec; 36(4):215-8.MD

Abstract

The paper reports a series of 236 patients who underwent emergency esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGDS) (within 48 hours of hospitalisation) due to hemorrhage of the upper digestive tract. A definitive diagnosis of the of bleeding was made in 233 (98.7%) cases. In 1.3% of cases, endoscopic tests proved negative. The most frequent cause of bleeding was duodenal ulcer, followed by esophageal varices. Hemorrhage was caused in only 46.2% of 80 cirrhotic patients by the rupture of esophageal varices, whereas in the remaining 53.8% of cases the source of hemorrhage was a lesion associated to esophageal varices. Surgery was necessary in 15 patients (6.4%). The death rate within 30 days was 5.5%. In conclusion, emergency EGDS performed within 24 hours of hospitalisation is the most precise diagnostic technique for upper gastrointestinal bleeding.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Specializzato in Gastroenterologia S. de Bellis, Castellana Grotte, Bari.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Comparative Study
English Abstract
Journal Article

Language

ita

PubMed ID

2089285

Citation

Giorgio, P, et al. "[Emergency Endoscopy in Upper Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage]." Minerva Dietologica E Gastroenterologica, vol. 36, no. 4, 1990, pp. 215-8.
Giorgio P, Lorusso D, Scotto F, et al. [Emergency endoscopy in upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage]. Minerva Dietol Gastroenterol. 1990;36(4):215-8.
Giorgio, P., Lorusso, D., Scotto, F., & Di Matteo, G. (1990). [Emergency endoscopy in upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage]. Minerva Dietologica E Gastroenterologica, 36(4), 215-8.
Giorgio P, et al. [Emergency Endoscopy in Upper Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage]. Minerva Dietol Gastroenterol. 1990 Oct-Dec;36(4):215-8. PubMed PMID: 2089285.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - [Emergency endoscopy in upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage]. AU - Giorgio,P, AU - Lorusso,D, AU - Scotto,F, AU - Di Matteo,G, PY - 1990/10/1/pubmed PY - 1990/10/1/medline PY - 1990/10/1/entrez SP - 215 EP - 8 JF - Minerva dietologica e gastroenterologica JO - Minerva Dietol Gastroenterol VL - 36 IS - 4 N2 - The paper reports a series of 236 patients who underwent emergency esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGDS) (within 48 hours of hospitalisation) due to hemorrhage of the upper digestive tract. A definitive diagnosis of the of bleeding was made in 233 (98.7%) cases. In 1.3% of cases, endoscopic tests proved negative. The most frequent cause of bleeding was duodenal ulcer, followed by esophageal varices. Hemorrhage was caused in only 46.2% of 80 cirrhotic patients by the rupture of esophageal varices, whereas in the remaining 53.8% of cases the source of hemorrhage was a lesion associated to esophageal varices. Surgery was necessary in 15 patients (6.4%). The death rate within 30 days was 5.5%. In conclusion, emergency EGDS performed within 24 hours of hospitalisation is the most precise diagnostic technique for upper gastrointestinal bleeding. SN - 0391-1993 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/2089285/[Emergency_endoscopy_in_upper_gastrointestinal_hemorrhage]_ L2 - https://medlineplus.gov/endoscopy.html DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -