Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Effect of temporary vocal fold injection medialization on the rate of permanent medialization laryngoplasty in unilateral vocal fold paralysis patients.
Laryngoscope. 2011 Oct; 121(10):2191-4.L

Abstract

OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS

To determine whether temporary vocal fold injection affects the need for permanent medialization laryngoplasty in patients with unilateral vocal fold paralysis (UVFP).

STUDY DESIGN

Retrospective chart review.

METHODS

A total of 175 patients with dysphonia resulting from UVFP were identified. Patients with documented recovery of vocal fold mobility, <9 months of follow-up after diagnosis of UVFP, previous treatment at other institutions, neoplastic disease involving the larynx, or history of radiation to the larynx were excluded. Fifty-four patients met all inclusion/exclusion criteria. Rates of permanent medialization laryngoplasty in patients undergoing vocal fold injection were compared with those of patients who chose observation or voice therapy.

RESULTS

A total of 35% of patients underwent temporary injection medialization, and the remaining 65% chose conservative management. Five of 19 of the temporary injection medialization patients subsequently underwent permanent intervention compared to 23 of 35 of the conservative management group (P = .0131).

CONCLUSIONS

UVFP patients who underwent vocal fold injection with an agent intended to provide temporary medialization were statistically significantly less likely to undergo permanent medialization laryngoplasty compared to those patients who were treated with conservative management only.

Authors+Show Affiliations

UCSF Voice and Swallowing Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115, USA. kyung@ohns.ucsf.eduNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Comparative Study
Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

21898421

Citation

Yung, Katherine C., et al. "Effect of Temporary Vocal Fold Injection Medialization On the Rate of Permanent Medialization Laryngoplasty in Unilateral Vocal Fold Paralysis Patients." The Laryngoscope, vol. 121, no. 10, 2011, pp. 2191-4.
Yung KC, Likhterov I, Courey MS. Effect of temporary vocal fold injection medialization on the rate of permanent medialization laryngoplasty in unilateral vocal fold paralysis patients. Laryngoscope. 2011;121(10):2191-4.
Yung, K. C., Likhterov, I., & Courey, M. S. (2011). Effect of temporary vocal fold injection medialization on the rate of permanent medialization laryngoplasty in unilateral vocal fold paralysis patients. The Laryngoscope, 121(10), 2191-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.21965
Yung KC, Likhterov I, Courey MS. Effect of Temporary Vocal Fold Injection Medialization On the Rate of Permanent Medialization Laryngoplasty in Unilateral Vocal Fold Paralysis Patients. Laryngoscope. 2011;121(10):2191-4. PubMed PMID: 21898421.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Effect of temporary vocal fold injection medialization on the rate of permanent medialization laryngoplasty in unilateral vocal fold paralysis patients. AU - Yung,Katherine C, AU - Likhterov,Ilya, AU - Courey,Mark S, Y1 - 2011/09/06/ PY - 2011/03/10/received PY - 2011/05/06/revised PY - 2011/05/10/accepted PY - 2011/9/8/entrez PY - 2011/9/8/pubmed PY - 2011/11/16/medline SP - 2191 EP - 4 JF - The Laryngoscope JO - Laryngoscope VL - 121 IS - 10 N2 - OBJECTIVES/HYPOTHESIS: To determine whether temporary vocal fold injection affects the need for permanent medialization laryngoplasty in patients with unilateral vocal fold paralysis (UVFP). STUDY DESIGN: Retrospective chart review. METHODS: A total of 175 patients with dysphonia resulting from UVFP were identified. Patients with documented recovery of vocal fold mobility, <9 months of follow-up after diagnosis of UVFP, previous treatment at other institutions, neoplastic disease involving the larynx, or history of radiation to the larynx were excluded. Fifty-four patients met all inclusion/exclusion criteria. Rates of permanent medialization laryngoplasty in patients undergoing vocal fold injection were compared with those of patients who chose observation or voice therapy. RESULTS: A total of 35% of patients underwent temporary injection medialization, and the remaining 65% chose conservative management. Five of 19 of the temporary injection medialization patients subsequently underwent permanent intervention compared to 23 of 35 of the conservative management group (P = .0131). CONCLUSIONS: UVFP patients who underwent vocal fold injection with an agent intended to provide temporary medialization were statistically significantly less likely to undergo permanent medialization laryngoplasty compared to those patients who were treated with conservative management only. SN - 1531-4995 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/21898421/Effect_of_temporary_vocal_fold_injection_medialization_on_the_rate_of_permanent_medialization_laryngoplasty_in_unilateral_vocal_fold_paralysis_patients_ L2 - https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.21965 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -