Prime

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Combination therapy with platinum and etoposide of brain metastases from breast carcinoma.

Abstract

Twenty-two consecutive patients with brain metastases from breast carcinoma were treated with a combination of platinum (100 mg/m2 day 1) and etoposide (100 mg/m2 days 4, 6, 8) every three weeks. Five (23%) achieved a complete response (CR) while 7 (32%) obtained a partial response (PR) for an overall response rate of 55%. The 95% confidence interval for combined CR and PR was 34-76%. Five patients received brain irradiation after reaching the maximum degree of objective remission by chemotherapy. Median duration of combined CR plus PR was 40 weeks (12+; 152). Median duration of survival was 58 weeks (2; 208+). Fifty-five percent of the patients were alive at one year. Our study demonstrates that this combination treatment is highly effective in the management of brain metastases from breast carcinoma.

Authors+Show Affiliations

,

Medical Oncology Department, University Hospital, Parma.

, , , , , , ,

Source

Cancer investigation 8:3-4 1990 pg 327-34

MeSH

Adult
Aged
Antineoplastic Combined Chemotherapy Protocols
Bone Neoplasms
Brain Neoplasms
Breast Neoplasms
Drug Evaluation
Etoposide
Female
Humans
Leukopenia
Liver Neoplasms
Lung Neoplasms
Male
Middle Aged
Platinum
Regression Analysis
Remission Induction

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Language

eng

PubMed ID

2207757

Citation

TY - JOUR T1 - Combination therapy with platinum and etoposide of brain metastases from breast carcinoma. AU - Cocconi,G, AU - Lottici,R, AU - Bisagni,G, AU - Bacchi,M, AU - Tonato,M, AU - Passalacqua,R, AU - Boni,C, AU - Belsanti,V, AU - Bassi,P, PY - 1990/1/1/pubmed PY - 1990/1/1/medline PY - 1990/1/1/entrez SP - 327 EP - 34 JF - Cancer investigation JO - Cancer Invest. VL - 8 IS - 3-4 N2 - Twenty-two consecutive patients with brain metastases from breast carcinoma were treated with a combination of platinum (100 mg/m2 day 1) and etoposide (100 mg/m2 days 4, 6, 8) every three weeks. Five (23%) achieved a complete response (CR) while 7 (32%) obtained a partial response (PR) for an overall response rate of 55%. The 95% confidence interval for combined CR and PR was 34-76%. Five patients received brain irradiation after reaching the maximum degree of objective remission by chemotherapy. Median duration of combined CR plus PR was 40 weeks (12+; 152). Median duration of survival was 58 weeks (2; 208+). Fifty-five percent of the patients were alive at one year. Our study demonstrates that this combination treatment is highly effective in the management of brain metastases from breast carcinoma. SN - 0735-7907 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/2207757/full_citation/Combination_therapy_with_platinum_and_etoposide_of_brain_metastases_from_breast_carcinoma_ L2 - https://medlineplus.gov/braintumors.html ER -