Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Preliminary report of vocal fold augmentation with cross-linked porcine collagen.
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Apr; 146(4):606-10.OH

Abstract

OBJECTIVE

To evaluate the short-term outcomes of using cross-linked porcine collagen for vocal fold augmentation.

STUDY DESIGN

Case series with planned data collection.

SETTING

Tertiary referral hospital.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS

Twenty consecutive patients of unilateral vocal fold paralysis (UVFP) were recruited, including 10 males and 10 females. All the subjects received videolaryngostroboscopic (VLS) evaluation for the glottic closure pattern, perceptual grading using the GRB scale (grade, roughness, breathiness), acoustic analysis, maximal phonation time (MPT), and Voice Handicap Index (VHI) questionnaire. Purified telopeptide-free, glutaraldehyde cross-linked porcine collagen was injected under local anesthesia with fiberscopic guidance.

RESULTS

Treatment outcomes were evaluated 3 months after the injection. Fifteen (75%) of 20 patients reported complete resolution of symptoms, whereas the other 5 (25%) patients had substantial improvements. The median score of perceptual analysis of voice quality showed significant improvements from G2/R2/B2 to G1/R1/B0 (P < .001). Glottic closure pattern under stroboscopy had improved from "predominantly open" before the procedure to a "half-open and half-close" pattern after the procedure (P < .001). Acoustic analysis demonstrated significant improvements of jitter and normalized noise energy (P < .05). Maximal phonation time revealed a significant improvement from 7.5 ± 3.2 seconds to 13.1 ± 3.9 seconds (P < .01). The VHI had also decreased from 53 ± 25 points to 27 ± 20 points (P < .01). No patients had serious adverse events during the follow-up period.

CONCLUSION

This case series demonstrated that porcine collagen may be a suitable material for temporary vocal fold augmentation.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Otolaryngology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Language

eng

PubMed ID

22237299

Citation

Wang, Chi-Te, et al. "Preliminary Report of Vocal Fold Augmentation With Cross-linked Porcine Collagen." Otolaryngology--head and Neck Surgery : Official Journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 146, no. 4, 2012, pp. 606-10.
Wang CT, Liao LJ, Huang TW, et al. Preliminary report of vocal fold augmentation with cross-linked porcine collagen. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;146(4):606-10.
Wang, C. T., Liao, L. J., Huang, T. W., & Cheng, P. W. (2012). Preliminary report of vocal fold augmentation with cross-linked porcine collagen. Otolaryngology--head and Neck Surgery : Official Journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 146(4), 606-10. https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599811434003
Wang CT, et al. Preliminary Report of Vocal Fold Augmentation With Cross-linked Porcine Collagen. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;146(4):606-10. PubMed PMID: 22237299.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Preliminary report of vocal fold augmentation with cross-linked porcine collagen. AU - Wang,Chi-Te, AU - Liao,Li-Jen, AU - Huang,Tsung-Wei, AU - Cheng,Po-Wen, Y1 - 2012/01/11/ PY - 2012/1/13/entrez PY - 2012/1/13/pubmed PY - 2012/6/1/medline SP - 606 EP - 10 JF - Otolaryngology--head and neck surgery : official journal of American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery JO - Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg VL - 146 IS - 4 N2 - OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the short-term outcomes of using cross-linked porcine collagen for vocal fold augmentation. STUDY DESIGN: Case series with planned data collection. SETTING: Tertiary referral hospital. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: Twenty consecutive patients of unilateral vocal fold paralysis (UVFP) were recruited, including 10 males and 10 females. All the subjects received videolaryngostroboscopic (VLS) evaluation for the glottic closure pattern, perceptual grading using the GRB scale (grade, roughness, breathiness), acoustic analysis, maximal phonation time (MPT), and Voice Handicap Index (VHI) questionnaire. Purified telopeptide-free, glutaraldehyde cross-linked porcine collagen was injected under local anesthesia with fiberscopic guidance. RESULTS: Treatment outcomes were evaluated 3 months after the injection. Fifteen (75%) of 20 patients reported complete resolution of symptoms, whereas the other 5 (25%) patients had substantial improvements. The median score of perceptual analysis of voice quality showed significant improvements from G2/R2/B2 to G1/R1/B0 (P < .001). Glottic closure pattern under stroboscopy had improved from "predominantly open" before the procedure to a "half-open and half-close" pattern after the procedure (P < .001). Acoustic analysis demonstrated significant improvements of jitter and normalized noise energy (P < .05). Maximal phonation time revealed a significant improvement from 7.5 ± 3.2 seconds to 13.1 ± 3.9 seconds (P < .01). The VHI had also decreased from 53 ± 25 points to 27 ± 20 points (P < .01). No patients had serious adverse events during the follow-up period. CONCLUSION: This case series demonstrated that porcine collagen may be a suitable material for temporary vocal fold augmentation. SN - 1097-6817 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/22237299/Preliminary_report_of_vocal_fold_augmentation_with_cross_linked_porcine_collagen_ L2 - http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0194599811434003?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&amp;rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&amp;rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -