Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

An unusual case of small bowel obstruction in a child caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads.
J Pediatr Surg. 2012 Sep; 47(9):E19-22.JP

Abstract

Foreign body ingestion occurs most commonly in the pediatric population. Small bowel obstruction is a rare complication that can occur, and surgical intervention is required. We present the first report of a case of an 18-month-old child with a jejunal obstruction caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads used for botanical arrangements. The child presented with obstipation and nonbloody, nonbilious emesis. Symptoms resolved after a large bead 3 cm in diameter was retrieved via laparoscopic-assisted excision. This case suggests that water-storing gel beads are particularly dangerous foreign bodies and should be kept out of the reach of children.

Authors+Show Affiliations

University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Health Sciences Campus, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Case Reports
Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

22974630

Citation

Moon, Jane S., et al. "An Unusual Case of Small Bowel Obstruction in a Child Caused By Ingestion of Water-storing Gel Beads." Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 47, no. 9, 2012, pp. E19-22.
Moon JS, Bliss D, Hunter CJ. An unusual case of small bowel obstruction in a child caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads. J Pediatr Surg. 2012;47(9):E19-22.
Moon, J. S., Bliss, D., & Hunter, C. J. (2012). An unusual case of small bowel obstruction in a child caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads. Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 47(9), E19-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2012.04.005
Moon JS, Bliss D, Hunter CJ. An Unusual Case of Small Bowel Obstruction in a Child Caused By Ingestion of Water-storing Gel Beads. J Pediatr Surg. 2012;47(9):E19-22. PubMed PMID: 22974630.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - An unusual case of small bowel obstruction in a child caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads. AU - Moon,Jane S, AU - Bliss,David, AU - Hunter,Catherine J, PY - 2012/02/08/received PY - 2012/03/13/revised PY - 2012/04/10/accepted PY - 2012/9/15/entrez PY - 2012/9/15/pubmed PY - 2013/2/12/medline SP - E19 EP - 22 JF - Journal of pediatric surgery JO - J. Pediatr. Surg. VL - 47 IS - 9 N2 - Foreign body ingestion occurs most commonly in the pediatric population. Small bowel obstruction is a rare complication that can occur, and surgical intervention is required. We present the first report of a case of an 18-month-old child with a jejunal obstruction caused by ingestion of water-storing gel beads used for botanical arrangements. The child presented with obstipation and nonbloody, nonbilious emesis. Symptoms resolved after a large bead 3 cm in diameter was retrieved via laparoscopic-assisted excision. This case suggests that water-storing gel beads are particularly dangerous foreign bodies and should be kept out of the reach of children. SN - 1531-5037 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/22974630/An_unusual_case_of_small_bowel_obstruction_in_a_child_caused_by_ingestion_of_water_storing_gel_beads_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0022-3468(12)00343-0 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -