Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Unilateral versus bilateral prostatic arterial embolization for lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with prostate enlargement.
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2013 Apr; 36(2):403-11.CI

Abstract

PURPOSE

This study was designed to compare baseline data and clinical outcome between patients with prostate enlargement/benign prostatic hyperplasia (PE/BPH) who underwent unilateral and bilateral prostatic arterial embolization (PAE) for the relief of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS).

METHODS

This single-center, ambispective cohort study compared 122 consecutive patients (mean age 66.7 years) with unilateral versus bilateral PAE from March 2009 to December 2011. Selective PAE was performed with 100- and 200-μm nonspherical polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) particles by a unilateral femoral approach.

RESULTS

Bilateral PAE was performed in 103 (84.4 %) patients (group A). The remaining 19 (15.6 %) patients underwent unilateral PAE (group B). Mean follow-up time was 6.7 months in group A and 7.3 months in group B. Mean prostate volume, PSA, International prostate symptom score/quality of life (IPSS/QoL) and post-void residual volume (PVR) reduction, and peak flow rate (Qmax) improvement were 19.4 mL, 1.68 ng/mL, 11.8/2.0 points, 32.9 mL, and 3.9 mL/s in group A and 11.5 mL, 1.98 ng/mL, 8.9/1.4 points, 53.8 mL, and 4.58 mL/s in group B. Poor clinical outcome was observed in 24.3 % of patients from group A and 47.4 % from group B (p = 0.04).

CONCLUSIONS

PAE is a safe and effective technique that can induce 48 % improvement in the IPSS score and a prostate volume reduction of 19 %, with good clinical outcome in up to 75 % of treated patients. Bilateral PAE seems to lead to better clinical results; however, up to 50 % of patients after unilateral PAE may have a good clinical outcome.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Departamento Universitário de Anatomia, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas (FCM), Universidade Nova de Lisboa (UNL), Campo dos Mártires da Pátria, 130, Lisbon, 1169-056, Portugal. tiagobilhim@hotmail.comNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

23232858

Citation

Bilhim, Tiago, et al. "Unilateral Versus Bilateral Prostatic Arterial Embolization for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Patients With Prostate Enlargement." Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 36, no. 2, 2013, pp. 403-11.
Bilhim T, Pisco J, Rio Tinto H, et al. Unilateral versus bilateral prostatic arterial embolization for lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with prostate enlargement. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2013;36(2):403-11.
Bilhim, T., Pisco, J., Rio Tinto, H., Fernandes, L., Campos Pinheiro, L., Duarte, M., Pereira, J. A., Oliveira, A. G., & O'Neill, J. (2013). Unilateral versus bilateral prostatic arterial embolization for lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with prostate enlargement. Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, 36(2), 403-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00270-012-0528-4
Bilhim T, et al. Unilateral Versus Bilateral Prostatic Arterial Embolization for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Patients With Prostate Enlargement. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2013;36(2):403-11. PubMed PMID: 23232858.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Unilateral versus bilateral prostatic arterial embolization for lower urinary tract symptoms in patients with prostate enlargement. AU - Bilhim,Tiago, AU - Pisco,João, AU - Rio Tinto,Hugo, AU - Fernandes,Lúcia, AU - Campos Pinheiro,Luís, AU - Duarte,Marisa, AU - Pereira,José A, AU - Oliveira,António G, AU - O'Neill,João, Y1 - 2012/12/12/ PY - 2012/07/31/received PY - 2012/11/15/accepted PY - 2012/12/13/entrez PY - 2012/12/13/pubmed PY - 2013/9/21/medline SP - 403 EP - 11 JF - Cardiovascular and interventional radiology JO - Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol VL - 36 IS - 2 N2 - PURPOSE: This study was designed to compare baseline data and clinical outcome between patients with prostate enlargement/benign prostatic hyperplasia (PE/BPH) who underwent unilateral and bilateral prostatic arterial embolization (PAE) for the relief of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). METHODS: This single-center, ambispective cohort study compared 122 consecutive patients (mean age 66.7 years) with unilateral versus bilateral PAE from March 2009 to December 2011. Selective PAE was performed with 100- and 200-μm nonspherical polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) particles by a unilateral femoral approach. RESULTS: Bilateral PAE was performed in 103 (84.4 %) patients (group A). The remaining 19 (15.6 %) patients underwent unilateral PAE (group B). Mean follow-up time was 6.7 months in group A and 7.3 months in group B. Mean prostate volume, PSA, International prostate symptom score/quality of life (IPSS/QoL) and post-void residual volume (PVR) reduction, and peak flow rate (Qmax) improvement were 19.4 mL, 1.68 ng/mL, 11.8/2.0 points, 32.9 mL, and 3.9 mL/s in group A and 11.5 mL, 1.98 ng/mL, 8.9/1.4 points, 53.8 mL, and 4.58 mL/s in group B. Poor clinical outcome was observed in 24.3 % of patients from group A and 47.4 % from group B (p = 0.04). CONCLUSIONS: PAE is a safe and effective technique that can induce 48 % improvement in the IPSS score and a prostate volume reduction of 19 %, with good clinical outcome in up to 75 % of treated patients. Bilateral PAE seems to lead to better clinical results; however, up to 50 % of patients after unilateral PAE may have a good clinical outcome. SN - 1432-086X UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/23232858/Unilateral_versus_bilateral_prostatic_arterial_embolization_for_lower_urinary_tract_symptoms_in_patients_with_prostate_enlargement_ L2 - https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00270-012-0528-4 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -