Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Angiomyolipoma of the kidney: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study.
J Egypt Natl Canc Inst. 2013 Sep; 25(3):125-34.JE

Abstract

OVERVIEW

Although angiomyolipoma (AML) is a relatively rare entity, it is the most common benign mesenchymal neoplasm of the kidney.

THE AIM OF THIS STUDY

To highlight the clinicopathological characteristics of AML and to assess the role of Human Melanoma Black-45 (HMB-45), Melan-A, smooth muscle actin (SMA), S-100 and cytokeratin in its diagnosis.

MATERIALS AND METHODS

The study included 15 cases of AML. Clinical and radiological data were retrieved from the archival files and all cases were subjected to a histopathological evaluation as well as immunohistochemical staining for HMB-45, Melan-A, SMA, S-100, and cytokeratin.

RESULTS

AML was more common in females (female:male = 4:1), the mean age was 53.9 ± 6.45 years. 60% of patients were symptomatic while the remaining 40% were asymptomatic. A statistically significant relationship was found between size of the tumor and the presence of the symptoms (P = 0.02). Patients with tumor size less than 4 cm were asymptomatic, while those with tumor size larger than 4 cm had different symptoms. Thirteen cases were classic AML, while 2 cases were epithelioid AML. Classic AML demonstrated admixture of fatty tissue, thick-walled blood vessels, and smooth muscle, while epithelioid AML was composed mainly of epithelioid cells and contained no fat. HMB-45 was positive in all cases of AML (100%), Melan-A was positive in 13/15 (87%) while SMA was positive in 11/15 (73%) of AML with variable staining intensity. All cases of AML were negative for S-100 and cytokeratin.

CONCLUSION

AMLs have characteristic clinicopathological and immunohistochemical features and their recognition is crucial for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Tanta, Egypt. ghadaesheba@yahoo.comNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

23932749

Citation

Esheba, Ghada El Sayed, and Noha El Sayed Esheba. "Angiomyolipoma of the Kidney: Clinicopathological and Immunohistochemical Study." Journal of the Egyptian National Cancer Institute, vol. 25, no. 3, 2013, pp. 125-34.
Esheba Gel S, Esheba Nel S. Angiomyolipoma of the kidney: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst. 2013;25(3):125-34.
Esheba, G. e. l. . S., & Esheba, N. e. l. . S. (2013). Angiomyolipoma of the kidney: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study. Journal of the Egyptian National Cancer Institute, 25(3), 125-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnci.2013.05.002
Esheba Gel S, Esheba Nel S. Angiomyolipoma of the Kidney: Clinicopathological and Immunohistochemical Study. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst. 2013;25(3):125-34. PubMed PMID: 23932749.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Angiomyolipoma of the kidney: clinicopathological and immunohistochemical study. AU - Esheba,Ghada El Sayed, AU - Esheba,Noha El Sayed, Y1 - 2013/06/10/ PY - 2013/01/30/received PY - 2013/05/03/revised PY - 2013/05/14/accepted PY - 2013/8/13/entrez PY - 2013/8/13/pubmed PY - 2013/11/15/medline KW - AML KW - Angiomyolipoma KW - CT KW - EAMLs KW - HMB-45 KW - HPF KW - Human Melanoma Black KW - MRI KW - Magnetic Resonance Imaging KW - Melan-A KW - PEC KW - PEComas KW - SMA KW - Smooth muscle actin KW - TSC KW - U/S KW - WHO KW - World Health Organization KW - angiomyolipoma KW - computed tomography KW - epithelioid angiomyolipomas KW - high power fieldpa KW - perivascular epithelioid cell KW - perivascular epithelioid cell tumors KW - smooth muscle actin KW - tuberous sclerosis complex KW - ultrasound SP - 125 EP - 34 JF - Journal of the Egyptian National Cancer Institute JO - J Egypt Natl Canc Inst VL - 25 IS - 3 N2 - OVERVIEW: Although angiomyolipoma (AML) is a relatively rare entity, it is the most common benign mesenchymal neoplasm of the kidney. THE AIM OF THIS STUDY: To highlight the clinicopathological characteristics of AML and to assess the role of Human Melanoma Black-45 (HMB-45), Melan-A, smooth muscle actin (SMA), S-100 and cytokeratin in its diagnosis. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The study included 15 cases of AML. Clinical and radiological data were retrieved from the archival files and all cases were subjected to a histopathological evaluation as well as immunohistochemical staining for HMB-45, Melan-A, SMA, S-100, and cytokeratin. RESULTS: AML was more common in females (female:male = 4:1), the mean age was 53.9 ± 6.45 years. 60% of patients were symptomatic while the remaining 40% were asymptomatic. A statistically significant relationship was found between size of the tumor and the presence of the symptoms (P = 0.02). Patients with tumor size less than 4 cm were asymptomatic, while those with tumor size larger than 4 cm had different symptoms. Thirteen cases were classic AML, while 2 cases were epithelioid AML. Classic AML demonstrated admixture of fatty tissue, thick-walled blood vessels, and smooth muscle, while epithelioid AML was composed mainly of epithelioid cells and contained no fat. HMB-45 was positive in all cases of AML (100%), Melan-A was positive in 13/15 (87%) while SMA was positive in 11/15 (73%) of AML with variable staining intensity. All cases of AML were negative for S-100 and cytokeratin. CONCLUSION: AMLs have characteristic clinicopathological and immunohistochemical features and their recognition is crucial for proper diagnosis and treatment. SN - 1110-0362 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/23932749/Angiomyolipoma_of_the_kidney:_clinicopathological_and_immunohistochemical_study_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1110-0362(13)00059-9 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -