Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Low but measurable stimulated serum thyroglobulin levels <2 µg/L frequently predict incomplete response in differentiated thyroid cancer patients.
Endocr Res. 2014; 39(4):157-63.ER

Abstract

INTRODUCTION

The study was aimed to determine the response and predictive risk factors of differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC) with measurable (0.4-2.0 µg/L) stimulated serum thyroglobulin (sTg) during the 10-24 months after radioiodine remnant ablation (RRA) and their long-term outcomes.

METHODS

Out of 839 retrospectively reviewed patients, 95 eligible DTC patients were included. Patients were classified as having incomplete response or no evidence of disease (NED). The sTg cut-off values with highest predicted accuracy for incomplete response at 10-24 months were calculated with receiver operator characteristics curve analysis.

RESULTS AND CONCLUSION

At 10-24 months after RRA, incomplete response was identified in 54 patients (57%) and 38/54 (70.4%) patients were found with structural evidence of disease. The remaining 16 patients (29.6%) had biochemical evidence of disease without structural evidence of disease. Forty-one patients (43%) were classified as having NED at 10-24 months after RRA and 27 patients (66%) did not receive further radioactive iodine (RAI) therapy and remained disease free at median follow-up of 6.5 years. Fourteen patients received second RAI treatment after 6 months and before the 10-24 months assessment time point. Of these, 2 had persistent tumor 6 years later. The sTg >0.6 µg/L at 6-10 months after RRA had optimal sensitivity (83.3%), specificity (56%) and negative predictive value (72%) of detecting incomplete response at 10-24 months after RRA. A total of 23/43 patients in the American Thyroid Association low-risk category had incomplete response after first RRA and 5/23 (21.7%) had recurrent/persistent disease at long-term follow-up.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Medicine, University of Alberta , AB , Canada .No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article

Language

eng

PubMed ID

24460082

Citation

Aldawish, Mohammed, et al. "Low but Measurable Stimulated Serum Thyroglobulin Levels <2 µg/L Frequently Predict Incomplete Response in Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Patients." Endocrine Research, vol. 39, no. 4, 2014, pp. 157-63.
Aldawish M, Jha N, McEwan AJ, et al. Low but measurable stimulated serum thyroglobulin levels <2 µg/L frequently predict incomplete response in differentiated thyroid cancer patients. Endocr Res. 2014;39(4):157-63.
Aldawish, M., Jha, N., McEwan, A. J., Severin, D., Ghosh, S., & Morrish, D. W. (2014). Low but measurable stimulated serum thyroglobulin levels <2 µg/L frequently predict incomplete response in differentiated thyroid cancer patients. Endocrine Research, 39(4), 157-63. https://doi.org/10.3109/07435800.2013.865211
Aldawish M, et al. Low but Measurable Stimulated Serum Thyroglobulin Levels <2 µg/L Frequently Predict Incomplete Response in Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Patients. Endocr Res. 2014;39(4):157-63. PubMed PMID: 24460082.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Low but measurable stimulated serum thyroglobulin levels <2 µg/L frequently predict incomplete response in differentiated thyroid cancer patients. AU - Aldawish,Mohammed, AU - Jha,Naresh, AU - McEwan,Alexander J B, AU - Severin,Diane, AU - Ghosh,Sunita, AU - Morrish,Donald W, Y1 - 2014/01/24/ PY - 2014/1/28/entrez PY - 2014/1/28/pubmed PY - 2015/6/13/medline KW - Near-total thyroidectomy KW - radioactive iodine KW - radioiodine remnant ablation KW - recurrent disease KW - thyroidectomy KW - tumor SP - 157 EP - 63 JF - Endocrine research JO - Endocr Res VL - 39 IS - 4 N2 - INTRODUCTION: The study was aimed to determine the response and predictive risk factors of differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC) with measurable (0.4-2.0 µg/L) stimulated serum thyroglobulin (sTg) during the 10-24 months after radioiodine remnant ablation (RRA) and their long-term outcomes. METHODS: Out of 839 retrospectively reviewed patients, 95 eligible DTC patients were included. Patients were classified as having incomplete response or no evidence of disease (NED). The sTg cut-off values with highest predicted accuracy for incomplete response at 10-24 months were calculated with receiver operator characteristics curve analysis. RESULTS AND CONCLUSION: At 10-24 months after RRA, incomplete response was identified in 54 patients (57%) and 38/54 (70.4%) patients were found with structural evidence of disease. The remaining 16 patients (29.6%) had biochemical evidence of disease without structural evidence of disease. Forty-one patients (43%) were classified as having NED at 10-24 months after RRA and 27 patients (66%) did not receive further radioactive iodine (RAI) therapy and remained disease free at median follow-up of 6.5 years. Fourteen patients received second RAI treatment after 6 months and before the 10-24 months assessment time point. Of these, 2 had persistent tumor 6 years later. The sTg >0.6 µg/L at 6-10 months after RRA had optimal sensitivity (83.3%), specificity (56%) and negative predictive value (72%) of detecting incomplete response at 10-24 months after RRA. A total of 23/43 patients in the American Thyroid Association low-risk category had incomplete response after first RRA and 5/23 (21.7%) had recurrent/persistent disease at long-term follow-up. SN - 1532-4206 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/24460082/Low_but_measurable_stimulated_serum_thyroglobulin_levels_<2_µg/L_frequently_predict_incomplete_response_in_differentiated_thyroid_cancer_patients_ L2 - https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/07435800.2013.865211 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -