Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

To operate or not?: A literature review of surgical outcomes in 95 patients with Parkinson's disease undergoing spine surgery.
Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015 Jul; 134:122-5.CN

Abstract

INTRODUCTION

Degenerative spondylosis and kyphoscoliosis are increasingly recognized entities in patients with Parkinson's disease. Surgical treatment with spinal fusion can be complicated due to poor bone quality and muscular dysfunction in this patient population. The goal of this paper is to investigate surgical outcomes in Parkinson's patients undergoing spine surgery.

METHODS

We performed a literature review using the PubMed and Google Scholar search engines investigating "Parkinson's disease and spinal fusion surgery" from the period of 2000 to 2013. The inclusion criteria included only English articles with Parkinson's patients that underwent spinal surgery. We identified and reviewed all six articles that included ninety-five patients with Parkinson's disease who underwent spinal surgery.

RESULTS

A total of 95 patients with Parkinson's disease who underwent spinal fusion surgery were reviewed with average patient age of 69 and a 3:4 male to female ratio. With an average follow up of 40 months, 46 out of 73 patients (63%) were judged to have satisfactory outcomes with poor outcomes noted in the remaining 37%. These included but were not limited to pseudoarthrosis, hardware failure/pullout, development of adjacent level disease, persistent kyphosis or sagittal imbalance, and no improvement or worsening in their postoperative visual analog pain scale. There was a 45% (29/65) revision rate and a 59% (30/51) complication rate following the index procedure.

CONCLUSION

It remains unclear whether Parkinson's patients benefit from spinal fusion surgery. Further prospective research is warranted to investigate surgical outcomes in this subset of patients.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Department of Neurosurgery, New York, USA. Electronic address: Christopher.sarkiss@mountsinai.org.Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba.Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Department of Neurosurgery, New York, USA.Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, New York, USA.Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Department of Neurosurgery, New York, USA.

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Review

Language

eng

PubMed ID

25988602

Citation

Sarkiss, Christopher A., et al. "To Operate or Not?: a Literature Review of Surgical Outcomes in 95 Patients With Parkinson's Disease Undergoing Spine Surgery." Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 134, 2015, pp. 122-5.
Sarkiss CA, Fogg GA, Skovrlj B, et al. To operate or not?: A literature review of surgical outcomes in 95 patients with Parkinson's disease undergoing spine surgery. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015;134:122-5.
Sarkiss, C. A., Fogg, G. A., Skovrlj, B., Cho, S. K., & Caridi, J. M. (2015). To operate or not?: A literature review of surgical outcomes in 95 patients with Parkinson's disease undergoing spine surgery. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, 134, 122-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2015.04.022
Sarkiss CA, et al. To Operate or Not?: a Literature Review of Surgical Outcomes in 95 Patients With Parkinson's Disease Undergoing Spine Surgery. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2015;134:122-5. PubMed PMID: 25988602.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - To operate or not?: A literature review of surgical outcomes in 95 patients with Parkinson's disease undergoing spine surgery. AU - Sarkiss,Christopher A, AU - Fogg,Guy A, AU - Skovrlj,Branko, AU - Cho,Samuel K, AU - Caridi,John M, Y1 - 2015/05/06/ PY - 2014/09/04/received PY - 2015/03/19/revised PY - 2015/04/25/accepted PY - 2015/5/20/entrez PY - 2015/5/20/pubmed PY - 2016/2/26/medline KW - Degenerative spondylosis KW - Kyphoscoliosis KW - Parkinson's disease KW - Spinal decompression KW - Spinal fusion SP - 122 EP - 5 JF - Clinical neurology and neurosurgery JO - Clin Neurol Neurosurg VL - 134 N2 - INTRODUCTION: Degenerative spondylosis and kyphoscoliosis are increasingly recognized entities in patients with Parkinson's disease. Surgical treatment with spinal fusion can be complicated due to poor bone quality and muscular dysfunction in this patient population. The goal of this paper is to investigate surgical outcomes in Parkinson's patients undergoing spine surgery. METHODS: We performed a literature review using the PubMed and Google Scholar search engines investigating "Parkinson's disease and spinal fusion surgery" from the period of 2000 to 2013. The inclusion criteria included only English articles with Parkinson's patients that underwent spinal surgery. We identified and reviewed all six articles that included ninety-five patients with Parkinson's disease who underwent spinal surgery. RESULTS: A total of 95 patients with Parkinson's disease who underwent spinal fusion surgery were reviewed with average patient age of 69 and a 3:4 male to female ratio. With an average follow up of 40 months, 46 out of 73 patients (63%) were judged to have satisfactory outcomes with poor outcomes noted in the remaining 37%. These included but were not limited to pseudoarthrosis, hardware failure/pullout, development of adjacent level disease, persistent kyphosis or sagittal imbalance, and no improvement or worsening in their postoperative visual analog pain scale. There was a 45% (29/65) revision rate and a 59% (30/51) complication rate following the index procedure. CONCLUSION: It remains unclear whether Parkinson's patients benefit from spinal fusion surgery. Further prospective research is warranted to investigate surgical outcomes in this subset of patients. SN - 1872-6968 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/25988602/To_operate_or_not:_A_literature_review_of_surgical_outcomes_in_95_patients_with_Parkinson's_disease_undergoing_spine_surgery_ L2 - https://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0303-8467(15)00158-4 DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -