Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Masculinity and femininity in twin children: genetic and environmental factors.
Child Dev. 1989 Dec; 60(6):1475-85.CD

Abstract

Genetic and environmental origins of individual differences in masculine and feminine personality attributes were investigated in a sample of 38 monozygotic and 32 dizygotic twin pairs (total N = 140) during pre- and early adolescence. Self-report measures of both masculine and feminine characteristics were obtained for each child using 2 standardized instruments: the Children's Personality Attributes Questionnaire (CPAQ) and the Adolescent Self-Perception Inventory (ASPI). Multivariate biometrical analyses revealed significant genetic influences in all measures, accounting for 20%-48% of the observed variation in each. Environmental influences, which explained the remaining 52%-80% of variance in masculinity and femininity, were apparently specific to each individual and not shared by members of the same twin pair. The results underscore the importance of considering both genetic and environmental factors in gender-role development, particularly in studies of family resemblance.

Authors+Show Affiliations

Department of Psychology, USC, Los Angeles 90089-1061.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.

Language

eng

PubMed ID

2612253

Citation

Mitchell, J E., et al. "Masculinity and Femininity in Twin Children: Genetic and Environmental Factors." Child Development, vol. 60, no. 6, 1989, pp. 1475-85.
Mitchell JE, Baker LA, Jacklin CN. Masculinity and femininity in twin children: genetic and environmental factors. Child Dev. 1989;60(6):1475-85.
Mitchell, J. E., Baker, L. A., & Jacklin, C. N. (1989). Masculinity and femininity in twin children: genetic and environmental factors. Child Development, 60(6), 1475-85.
Mitchell JE, Baker LA, Jacklin CN. Masculinity and Femininity in Twin Children: Genetic and Environmental Factors. Child Dev. 1989;60(6):1475-85. PubMed PMID: 2612253.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Masculinity and femininity in twin children: genetic and environmental factors. AU - Mitchell,J E, AU - Baker,L A, AU - Jacklin,C N, PY - 1989/12/1/pubmed PY - 1989/12/1/medline PY - 1989/12/1/entrez SP - 1475 EP - 85 JF - Child development JO - Child Dev VL - 60 IS - 6 N2 - Genetic and environmental origins of individual differences in masculine and feminine personality attributes were investigated in a sample of 38 monozygotic and 32 dizygotic twin pairs (total N = 140) during pre- and early adolescence. Self-report measures of both masculine and feminine characteristics were obtained for each child using 2 standardized instruments: the Children's Personality Attributes Questionnaire (CPAQ) and the Adolescent Self-Perception Inventory (ASPI). Multivariate biometrical analyses revealed significant genetic influences in all measures, accounting for 20%-48% of the observed variation in each. Environmental influences, which explained the remaining 52%-80% of variance in masculinity and femininity, were apparently specific to each individual and not shared by members of the same twin pair. The results underscore the importance of considering both genetic and environmental factors in gender-role development, particularly in studies of family resemblance. SN - 0009-3920 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/2612253/Masculinity_and_femininity_in_twin_children:_genetic_and_environmental_factors_ DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -