Tags

Type your tag names separated by a space and hit enter

Prevalence, genotyping and macrolide resistance of Mycoplasma pneumoniae among isolates of patients with respiratory tract infections, Central Slovenia, 2006 to 2014.
Euro Surveill. 2015; 20(37)ES

Abstract

In this retrospective study we employed real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to analyse the occurrence of Mycoplasma pneumoniae among upper and lower respiratory tract infections (RTI) in the Central Region of Slovenia between January 2006 and December 2014. We also used a culture and pyrosequencing approach to genotype strains and infer their potential macrolide resistance. Of a total 9,431 tested samples from in- and out-patient with RTI, 1,255 (13%) were found to be positive by M. pneumoniae PCR. The proportion of positive samples was 19% (947/5,092)among children (≤16 years-old) and 7% (308/4,339) among adults (>16 years-old). Overall, among those PCR tested, the highest proportions of M. pneumonia infections during the study period were observed in 2010 and 2014. In these two years, 18% (218/1,237) and 25% (721/2,844) of samples were positive respectively,indicating epidemic periods. From the 1,255 M. pneumoniae PCR-positive samples, 783 (614 from paediatric and 169 from adult patients) were successfully cultured. Of these, 40% (312/783) were constituted of strains belonging to the P1 type II genomic group, while 60% (469/783) contained strains of the P1 type I group. Two isolates comprised both P1 type Iand II strains. Results of a genotype analysis by year,showed that the dominant M. pneumoniae P1 type during the 2010 epidemic was P1 type II (82% of isolates;81/99), which was replaced by P1 type I in the 2014 epidemic (75%; 384/510). This observation could indicate that the two epidemics may have been driven by a type shift phenomenon, although both types remained present in the studied population during the assessed period of time. Only 1% of strains (7/783) were found to harbour an A2063G mutation in the 23S rRNA gene,which confers macrolide resistance, suggesting that the occurrence of M. pneumoniae macrolide resistance still seems to be sporadic in our geographic area.

Authors+Show Affiliations

University of Ljubljana, Medical Faculty, Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Ljubljana, Slovenia.No affiliation info availableNo affiliation info availableNo affiliation info available

Pub Type(s)

Journal Article
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

Language

eng

PubMed ID

26536357

Citation

Kogoj, Rok, et al. "Prevalence, Genotyping and Macrolide Resistance of Mycoplasma Pneumoniae Among Isolates of Patients With Respiratory Tract Infections, Central Slovenia, 2006 to 2014." Euro Surveillance : Bulletin Europeen Sur Les Maladies Transmissibles = European Communicable Disease Bulletin, vol. 20, no. 37, 2015.
Kogoj R, Mrvic T, Praprotnik M, et al. Prevalence, genotyping and macrolide resistance of Mycoplasma pneumoniae among isolates of patients with respiratory tract infections, Central Slovenia, 2006 to 2014. Euro Surveill. 2015;20(37).
Kogoj, R., Mrvic, T., Praprotnik, M., & Kese, D. (2015). Prevalence, genotyping and macrolide resistance of Mycoplasma pneumoniae among isolates of patients with respiratory tract infections, Central Slovenia, 2006 to 2014. Euro Surveillance : Bulletin Europeen Sur Les Maladies Transmissibles = European Communicable Disease Bulletin, 20(37). https://doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2015.20.37.30018
Kogoj R, et al. Prevalence, Genotyping and Macrolide Resistance of Mycoplasma Pneumoniae Among Isolates of Patients With Respiratory Tract Infections, Central Slovenia, 2006 to 2014. Euro Surveill. 2015;20(37) PubMed PMID: 26536357.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - JOUR T1 - Prevalence, genotyping and macrolide resistance of Mycoplasma pneumoniae among isolates of patients with respiratory tract infections, Central Slovenia, 2006 to 2014. AU - Kogoj,Rok, AU - Mrvic,Tatjana, AU - Praprotnik,Marina, AU - Kese,Darja, PY - 2014/11/09/received PY - 2015/07/19/accepted PY - 2015/11/5/entrez PY - 2015/11/5/pubmed PY - 2016/4/5/medline JF - Euro surveillance : bulletin Europeen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin JO - Euro Surveill VL - 20 IS - 37 N2 - In this retrospective study we employed real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to analyse the occurrence of Mycoplasma pneumoniae among upper and lower respiratory tract infections (RTI) in the Central Region of Slovenia between January 2006 and December 2014. We also used a culture and pyrosequencing approach to genotype strains and infer their potential macrolide resistance. Of a total 9,431 tested samples from in- and out-patient with RTI, 1,255 (13%) were found to be positive by M. pneumoniae PCR. The proportion of positive samples was 19% (947/5,092)among children (≤16 years-old) and 7% (308/4,339) among adults (>16 years-old). Overall, among those PCR tested, the highest proportions of M. pneumonia infections during the study period were observed in 2010 and 2014. In these two years, 18% (218/1,237) and 25% (721/2,844) of samples were positive respectively,indicating epidemic periods. From the 1,255 M. pneumoniae PCR-positive samples, 783 (614 from paediatric and 169 from adult patients) were successfully cultured. Of these, 40% (312/783) were constituted of strains belonging to the P1 type II genomic group, while 60% (469/783) contained strains of the P1 type I group. Two isolates comprised both P1 type Iand II strains. Results of a genotype analysis by year,showed that the dominant M. pneumoniae P1 type during the 2010 epidemic was P1 type II (82% of isolates;81/99), which was replaced by P1 type I in the 2014 epidemic (75%; 384/510). This observation could indicate that the two epidemics may have been driven by a type shift phenomenon, although both types remained present in the studied population during the assessed period of time. Only 1% of strains (7/783) were found to harbour an A2063G mutation in the 23S rRNA gene,which confers macrolide resistance, suggesting that the occurrence of M. pneumoniae macrolide resistance still seems to be sporadic in our geographic area. SN - 1560-7917 UR - https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/26536357/Prevalence_genotyping_and_macrolide_resistance_of_Mycoplasma_pneumoniae_among_isolates_of_patients_with_respiratory_tract_infections_Central_Slovenia_2006_to_2014_ DB - PRIME DP - Unbound Medicine ER -